Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Low cost wood burners
16 June 2016, 06:42,
Low cost wood burners
We have gone through a steep learning curve in making our home energy independent from the point of view of heating and cooking.

Our solution is based on the use of wood burning multi-fuel stoves that also have hot-plates / ovens. The system is now tried, tested and is working very well indeed, keeping us toasty day and night in very sub-zero temperatures.

In fact the whole house has been heated using a single stove for the last three years. That stove is very frugal fuel-wise, burning around £1.00 per day in fuel. It looks like a scaled down AGA or Rayburn stove with a large hot plate on the top and a single medium sized oven. It cost less than £1000 and replaced an almost identical unit that was in the house when we purchased....that old unit had seen over 40 years continuous use.

Anyway to the reason for posting:

If anyone is looking at solid fuel burning options on a budget, our experiments and research mean that we have access to good quality low cost stoves that could be perfect for reducing current energy costs as well as being critical preps for an uncertain future.

Example prices:

Multi-fuel with large hot plate + Oven around £1,000

Small Multi-Fuel with medium hot plate + Oven around £ 250

Ultra small footprint (tall) multi-fuel with hot plate (no oven) around £125

We've already supplied a few to friends who are very satisfied with them and are now thinking of selling them commercially. If anyone's interested, please PM me for details.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

16 June 2016, 09:04,
RE: Low cost wood burners
Whats the cost of flue sections LS?
ATB
Harry
16 June 2016, 09:43,
(16 June 2016, 09:04)harrypalmer Wrote: Whats the cost of flue sections LS?

Around £5.00 for straight 120mm dia 1m long sections last time I ordered.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

16 June 2016, 11:03,
£5 a metre is a good price IIRC.
ATB
Harry
16 June 2016, 12:26,
(16 June 2016, 11:03)harrypalmer Wrote: £5 a metre is a good price IIRC.

That's normal mild steel tube. I don't know the wall thickness.

3 years permanent use on the stuff I installed and its fine. But we are only burning well seasoned wood so tar deposits are almost non existent.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580