Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biomass boiler. Advice sought
17 June 2016, 07:12,
RE: Biomass boiler. Advice sought
Update:

We eventually elected for a similar but different brand boiler. Slightly less powerful at max 20Kw but that will meet our needs fine.
Change of choice is in order to get a better engineered auto-feed, thicker boiler wall material, greater efficiency and easier cleaning. The latter being the most important consideration as we'll primarily be burning coal, which creates more soot and ash than wood.

The boiler itself is now delivered, next step is construction of a new chimney for it. Unfortunately turned out that our existing chimney is not ideal, especially as we want the existing multi-fuel stove and thermal store arrangement to continue to function in its current way (This is our deep level fall back solution that is fundamental to 100% off grid living). On the up side chimney cleaning will be easier, and the neat convection extraction system of the existing chimney will be retained (it would for sure have been lost if the new boiler flue was fed into that main chimney)

We just need to agree the budget for new chimney construction, then installation can begin next month. This will be interesting!
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

18 October 2016, 06:10,
Wow, time flies.

last update in June, and its taken until yesterday ( Mid October) for us to get the new heating system commissioned.

And the beast is living up to expectations.

Although current weather conditions are mild 9C the newly installed radiator system has already transformed living conditions in the house.

We are very satisfied with it, and indications are that it will both deal well with our extreme climatic conditions, and at the same time be fairly economic to run. ( Estimates are around £500 per year to heat our just under 2000 sq ft, of solid walled croft-like house)

This system is totally dependent on mains electric power to run processor and pumps. For short tem back-up, we'll be looking to install a petrol genny in the near future.

For long term back-up our existing wood burners will remain in place ( Forever!!!)

We'll update again after the system has been running a while and after its got through first engagement with truly cold conditions.

Indications at this early stage are that its brilliantly efficient, and satisfies our need for greater energy independence.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

18 October 2016, 19:02,
What chimney construction you using LS ?........We are using Stainless steel insulated pipe on the new build for the wood burner for ease and efficiency...expensive but very fast to install .....27th October will be up and running, this is for backup the main system is LPG balanced flue boiler (off gas bottles ) .....on the internet they sell the bottles that can be filled at the filling stations so i will get some of those too, time will tell but the insulation we have used is incredible can't see us using much.
19 October 2016, 09:24,
(18 October 2016, 19:02)Straight Shooter Wrote: on the internet they sell the bottles that can be filled at the filling stations...

What bottles? Can you provide a link.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
19 October 2016, 18:45,
My BIL told me about these months back SD ....just had a look on Ebay there are some there just type in refillable lpg bottles..not cheap .....i will ask about see if i can get some wright money .....be back soon as i get somewhere pal.
20 October 2016, 11:37,
SS: Chimney is a modular ceramic tube that sits within an internally profiled breze-block type material outer brick. Each section of outer brick is a 32cm Cube, and the internal pipe is the same 32cm in length.

Between pipe and outer brick there is glass fibre insulation.

Its working very well indeed and creating plenty of draw for the boiler.

This is a German made product. I can't remember the maker's name at the moment, but can look it up for you if you need it.

Those stainless chimneys are excellent. They are in widespread use around here. From what I understand the only issue is to ensure that they are correctly scaled to the boiler's required draw.

Will be interesting to see how efficient your new setup will be.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580