Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Talk about Rip Off prices!
11 April 2016, 21:00,
RE: Talk about Rip Off prices!
NR £6k for a new fitted bathroom is more than a bit rich IMHO. You should be able to find a reasonable plumber and tiler locally who's rates are more reasonable than those offered by the Bath store.

If you are just re-fitting your bathroom and freshening it up with new tiles, the install of the new basin, bath shower etc should be a fairly simple swap-out. Just copy what was already there.

If that's the case, you ought to be able to do that bit yourself, and then employ a tiler to do his stuff. Learning to do the plumbing yourself will be a very useful prep.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

11 April 2016, 21:24,
Bathroom needs ripping out, damp got into the chipboard floor in places so it needs overlaying with 10mm Marine grade ply before rebuilding, we want a sellf contained shower unit 900 by 1200 to 1400mm , toilet, basin and plinth, tiled floor, half tiled walls, new lights, new extractor, shower system ran of combi boiler, I think it can be got down to under £6K compared to their £9K quote.

12 April 2016, 00:35,
I'm currently going through a similar exercise at my GF's, stripping out the entire (family) bathroom, including all plumbing, lighting and rotten floorboards.

First you do not need marine ply for the floor, you want Grade P5 moisture resistant T&G Chipboard.

For the shower; bath; sink; toilet, radiator/towel rail and a range of fitted bathroom furniture, we are using http://www.betterbathrooms.com and that all comes in at around £1K and it's all good stuff, all the furniture is supplied rigid, none of this flat pack stuff.

Tiles are coming from a local tile centre (national chain) - not sure on cost yet, but not likely to be more than a couple of hundred.

Flooring is luxury vinyl tiles (they are actually planks) and cost less than £200, plus another £100.00 for fitting.

For the plumbing work; fitting all the furniture; replacing the floor boards; fitting the wall tiles etc, we have been quoted £1,200.00 by a local plumber. I will strip out the old tiles, flooring and anything else I can before he comes.

And another £200.00 for the electrician for supplying and fitting new down lighters.