Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Off Grid On a budget
29 April 2016, 17:37,
RE: Off Grid On a budget
Looks wonderful, very inspiring. Will look forward to more posts, especially the solar install, as planning a smallish off grid system.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
29 April 2016, 22:04,
Solar fixed to roof now:

[Image: 20160429_185123.jpg]

The Exhaust clamps I had to pay for, seems car centers don't give them away like they used.

[Image: 20160429_205327.jpg]

Solar controller in place and working the brown and blue wire are just for testing the setup, I now need to place all my batts and hook them up correct, will update that when done.

[Image: 20160429_201302.jpg]

Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
30 April 2016, 08:41,
On the wind farms I used to be involved in quite a few of the crews and support staff had solar powered testing gear and panels on their van roofs (not permenent fixtures) . I noted that some were secured with chains or steel wire and cable clamps, but most had rubber exhaust mounting rings / hangers (often the Transit van figure 8 type hangers) in the line some place so vibrations from the equipment or vehicles did not damage the panels, others used shock cord or even bungy straps dunno if similar insulation is needed for boats but I thought I better mention it.

30 April 2016, 12:02,
Yes I am looking to get some stick on rubber feet before I move the boat.

Also due to BSS standard I have to have everything fused, so am looking around for 12 volt switches, fuse boxes and so on, marine grade.

30 April 2016, 12:09,
NR do you have any experience with wind turbines I was thinking to add one to run along side the solar, so far from what I have research, it seems you can run both on same bank, and through same controller, but there seems to be a lot of rip off turbines on the market.

I am insured up to £250 per item so I need to spend around that much.
30 April 2016, 12:28,
Yes you can use both wind and PV you just need a suitable regulator same as caravan wind solar combines, TBH I suggest you hit the boating forums for which are the best micro turbines for boats cos as you say there is a lot of junk out there.

EG

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f14/...-4888.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TkZ6eLhlGo

http://midsummerenergy.co.uk/solar-panel...eRegulator

30 April 2016, 19:36,
Thanks for them links.

How to wire up solar panel fused.

[Image: solarsystem.png]

12 Volt wiring bank.

[Image: batts2.gif]

30 April 2016, 19:49,
When wiring up a bank you should try to balance the load, the link I posted is basic 12v wiring but there are other options, cost a bit more as your need extra leads but your battery's will draw a more even current and last longer also perform better.
30 April 2016, 20:38,
This is what I am thinking, not 100% sure yet.

[Image: wire_up.png]

30 April 2016, 22:15,
I propose that you (re)name your boat Lord Ligonier after the beautiful sailing ship in a certain seventies TV series of which I was an extremely avid viewer.
Suburban neighbours= stranger- danger.