Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need some help with wild grapes
2 May 2016, 08:56,
Need some help with wild grapes
I've started a small garden this year and got to thinking, I have some very well established wild grape vines of indeterminate variety that I would like to help become productive. These vines produce some very small clusters of grapes that are about 1 millimetre in diameter but never anything any larger. Is there anything I can do to help these vines produce larger grapes that I can use to make various preserves?
I suspect they are muscadine vines but I'm not certain. I am able to make some really good jelly from vines at a friend's house but would like to have my own vines being productive.
For those that insist, I used the search method and found only three threads that had nothing useful for my education. Please help.
Thank you!
2 May 2016, 09:41,
RE: Need some help with wild grapes
I've a grape in my greenhouse and I know others and they like plenty of sun and water to expand the grapes.

But 1mm grapes? Even when mine don't get any water they still grow bigger than 1mm.

Try making sure they get plenty of water and see what happens.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
2 May 2016, 09:46,
I honestly know nothing about vines BUT this morning on the BBC they ran an article about the massively thriving vineyards in WALES and how they expect them to expend from 10 vineyards to over 50 in the next few years, Sooooo you you possibly get yourself the variety of grapes that are thriving there and plant them in your garden ???

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-36178391

2 May 2016, 19:36,
I have one of those vines NR .....yet to get some grapes....even 1mm would be nice....the guy that delivers the coal said.....grapes do better in the greenhouse BUT the vine should be plated outside.....he said try putting up some clear polythene around the vine but leave the bottom (where it comes out of the ground outside this cover ) i must say i did move it last year because of all the work and new landscaping going on...but we are now about to plant in a new sunny location with loads of water close by .....give that a try David83.
2 May 2016, 20:06,
I have black desert grapes growing like crazy in my Welsh poly-tunnel, I don't know the variety, but the amount of big, sweet grapes produced is excellent. The vine is inside the tunnel, the roots are outside. To feed it I just pile rotted manure on the ground above the roots and let the rain and the worms do the rest.