Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Door chains and check arms
8 May 2016, 16:45,
RE: Door chains and check arms
Very nice good grade metal and some nice looking swords on that site, I have a few myself but mine are different style, I think I would like one of them, thanks for the info.

I normally buy mine from http://www.paulchenhanweiswords.com/

Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
8 May 2016, 16:48,
Just to add I forget who I was talking to might have been someone from this site, he explained to me how these medieval swords would have a blunt edge for battle due to sharp edge no good causing problems of getting stuck in the body, or some thing long them lines.
Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
9 May 2016, 04:46,
Oh!

You are serious.

I have been waiting for the punch line all day.
9 May 2016, 08:31,
How did a thread about front door security furniture turn into a thread about swords !!!!

9 May 2016, 08:54,
(8 May 2016, 14:25)NorthernRaider Wrote: TH is that the sword you used when you appeared in Robin Hood, Men in tights ? Smile
damn right old chap--- huraaaaah---slap thigh.
9 May 2016, 09:01,
(8 May 2016, 16:48)Nemesis Wrote: Just to add I forget who I was talking to might have been someone from this site, he explained to me how these medieval swords would have a blunt edge for battle due to sharp edge no good causing problems of getting stuck in the body, or some thing long them lines.
no, medieval swords were kept sharp, there is a lot of confusion on this matter. Swords were often stored "blunt" as in later days for safety reasons, when battle arose the order to "sharpen swords" was issued. There are many such instances of blades getting stuck in bodies, but it is not due to "sharp swords". Surprisingly a relatively blunt blade will still cut, if that cut is delivered correctly, a sharp blade makes it so much easier. People in medieval times didn't worry about edge damage either as a five minute stroll through the Royal Armouries at Leeds will show.
9 May 2016, 09:08,
(8 May 2016, 16:45)Nemesis Wrote: Very nice good grade metal and some nice looking swords on that site, I have a few myself but mine are different style, I think I would like one of them, thanks for the info.

I normally buy mine from http://www.paulchenhanweiswords.com/

Never had a problem with my VA sword and it has done four years worth of cutting, the leather work is very good, and they offer customisation. Sonny the owner will be happy to email you and answer any questions, I doubt Paul Chen would do the same lol.

9 May 2016, 12:02,
(9 May 2016, 08:31)NorthernRaider Wrote: How did a thread about front door security furniture turn into a thread about swords !!!!

Well..... I think you started it! :-)
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

9 May 2016, 18:17,
I will continue the off thread tangent for this; that when plate mail became a "thing", the blunt force trauma weapons suddenly became popular again such as blunt two-hander swords, hammers, mauls etc.

On point, thanks for the heads up. I was unaware of this nasty ploy...
-------------------------------------------------------------------
The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.

Aristotle
10 May 2016, 11:31,
(9 May 2016, 18:17)Mistwatch Wrote: I will continue the off thread tangent for this; that when plate mail became a "thing", the blunt force trauma weapons suddenly became popular again such as blunt two-hander swords, hammers, mauls etc.

On point, thanks for the heads up. I was unaware of this nasty ploy...
If the mods wish to move this thread, please do so as it is off Topic. When full plate became the norm sword design adapted from the previouse "cutting" geometry to blades with a stiffer profile that were able to penetrate the gaps in armour. These swords were often used with a hand on the blade to assist thrusting "halfswording". Mistwatch is correct about blunt force trauma weapons as we see "Knights" using war hammers, pollaxe etc as their main weapons when "plate" became the norm. Below is Oakeshott's sword typology and the XVa style is a good example of the type of blade used in the heyday of full armour.

http://www.albion-swords.com/articles/oa...pology.htm