Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Denim Work Jeans
9 May 2016, 11:21,
Denim Work Jeans
Many of us chaps and chappesses in the prepper community have a bit of a thing for branded gear, Helly Hanson, Levi, Wrangler, Berghaus, 5:11, Altberg etc and many of appear to be partial to both Cargo pants and Denim jeans, I belong to that category as well but recently I have been trying to get a bit better value for money out of me kit.

So two years ago i saw a documentary that showed us that about 80% of all Denim jeans sold in Europe are made in one factory in Turkey, same staff, same QC, but prices on the labels varied from £7.99 to over £500 for a pair of jeans (SD goes nowhere without his Armanis). What varied was the basic quality of the denim clothe, quality of yarn, zipper and brasswear, but I got the impression that you paid the most for (A) the BRAND and (B) The cut.

So I thought it was time to try a change.

Normally I'm a Wrangler or LEE hog they average about £30 per pair but I did notice some folks in our little community wore Levis which can easily cost £60 to £80.

Anyway for the last 18 months I have been trying out SAINSBURIES own brand of jeans TU. The dearest of em are about £15 a pair but some in the range are as cheap as £11.50. I bought two pairs of straight cut jeans and two pairs of the slightly elasticated ones as well. Cutting to the chase I think they are great value for money I have has NO problems with them they are as good today as when I bought em. They do straight cut, boot cut, slim fit, worn look, Dark Navy, Pre washed, Black and Elasticated. So if your budget is tight and you need value for money consider these as an alternative to the expensive brands.

9 May 2016, 12:13,
RE: Denim Work Jeans
I used to be a Levis buyer, having worn them as a kid. I remember my first pair were so heavy that they stood up on their own and the store that sold them to my mother told her that if I wore them out or tore them in a year, they'd be replaced free of charge. A brave offer to have made, considering my reputation for destroying stuff. I think that in the end those jeans outlasted me...I grew out of them.

About ten years ago I realised that a. Levis prices in London were stupid and b. it was all but impossible to find a pair or normal 501s. nor indeed anything that had not been cosmetically enhanced with wear marks and designer holes. Kind of a change in brand values from my point of view. Levis lost a previously loyal customer.

Now I buy jeans from Asda, Tesco and the likes. Asda work jeans at a little over £5.00 per pair, are such good value that if they last me a few months they owe me nothing. Its barely worth putting them through the washing machine when they're dirty:-)
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

9 May 2016, 12:43,
Am currently wearing a mix of wrangler (2 pairs) & blue harbour (M&S own label about 5 pair's of mixed twill,jean's,chino's and moleskin's) the M&S gear is reasonably priced £15-35 depending on type and appears to be tougher and just as well made as the Wranglers , if you want tough heavy Levi's they seem to only be available in the America's the jean's we receive are a pale imitation of the American ones and much more expensive too boot.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
9 May 2016, 12:53,
Yup I love Blue Harbour Polos and the Blue Max polos ( off Amazon) polos, The Blue Max have the upper hand for me cos they have slightly longer short sleeves ( bout elbow length) both are good value for money.

8 July 2016, 15:03,
For our newer members.

'Jeans' are great but... when wet take an age to dry and when wet and in cool temperatures with wind, they can lead to hypothermia in no time at all because of the wind chill factor on your legs. There is a 'Bushcraft' saying which I believe is over used but still holds validity 'COTTON KILLS'

Jeans tend to be heavyweight cotton so go for a lighter weave. The very expensive trews from the likes of Fjallraven are good, dry quicker but cost £80+++ Army 'Lightweight' polycotton can be had for a tenner if you shop around. Craghoppers produce some good trousers, lightweight polycotton, different colours and not a lot of dosh so well worth looking at (they show up at TK Max from time to time).

Then you have Cargo trousers, often based on the American M65 trews, lots of pockets, various colours and again worth looking at. I've got at least one pair of all of the above but the M65 type are my favourite overall because you can carry so much in the pockets if you plan your kit well.

I stopped wearing Jeans when I hit 40...men over 40 in Jeans always look a bit like Jeremy Clarkson; a truly abhorrent vision.
ATB
Harry
9 July 2016, 01:06,
I feel the same about lightweight and combat trews as you do about jeans , I feel very self conscious as a 50 year old wearing them , love my jeans and have taken to different cuts with the gathering years, no more drainpipes or skinny fits for me anymore , I have a huge stock of ex mil clothing mostly og or Dpm
cos its now so cheap but i have no desire to wear them right now as I feel like a bit of a walt/wanabee in em right now
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
9 July 2016, 09:46,
The combat pants come in different colours these days so no military look. I see blokes of all ages wearing them these days. Sadly modern military clothing is not what it used to be, its tat that falls apart Sad
ATB
Harry
9 July 2016, 10:18,
I bought some surplus military police trousers, black ripstop with a slightly wrinkled finish. They're pretty good - quality zips and buttons, useful pockets. The long baton pocket is unusual, and a couple of times I've accidentally dropped my keys in there and had to fish them out, it would be better with a button sewed on, useful to carry a hammer in when checking fences.

They seem strong and have survived some rough work unscathed.
13 July 2016, 18:03,
I am test driving a pair of £6 jeans from my local supermarket. I'll see how it goes.