Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting antenna 2 m / 70 cm
20 May 2016, 09:21,
RE: Interesting antenna 2 m / 70 cm
Exactly Harry each according to his own need, one size rarely fits all in prepping. I use PMR446 on .5 watt power for local comms now, but if TSHTF I can dial the power up to 4 watts, but as my mentor light Speed pointed out I can get better performance and range with better antenna like the 771s just as you also point out. My UV5s are retuned to only use the 8 analogue and 8 digital PMR channels so I cannot accidentally intrude on the licenced hams bands, I used CHIRP to reprogram them.

FYI I'm no technogeek but LS helped me design and build a little Di pole antenna with limbs only 160 mm long if I remember right, its ideal for the 2 m 70cm 446 bands and using it my wife can hear me just under 8 miles away which makes it ideal for my needs and retains my security. I'm going to get a President CB rig when funds allow cos that does 12watt SSB as well as UK FM and US AM 27 meg , all legal and licence free. Be a while before i can afford it though. Smile

20 May 2016, 15:59,
When you get a CB please for fluck sake make sure the antenna is tuned correctly...CB can give your neighbors nightmare interference if you don't...often the local ham gets the blame.
ATB
Harry
20 May 2016, 17:36,
Take your point Harry, but if I'm having to use a CB chances are my neighbours are all dead in a zombie apocalypse Smile or the fookers have voted REMAIN and I've killed them Smile

20 May 2016, 22:17,
(19 May 2016, 00:27)Nemesis Wrote:
(18 May 2016, 19:52)NorthernRaider Wrote: Its WAAAY beyond my pay grade LS my friend, I take your word as gospel when it comes to Comms

Its £11.39 NR?

LS what Baofeng do you recommend?

Any of the UV5rs are fine.

Here we have standardised on the UV5r Plus as its the last of the early models that have a wide range of inexpensive accessories.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

21 May 2016, 00:54,
Thanks for the reply.

So two of these then, unless there is a better UV5r Plus option?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-BaoFeng-UV-...SwPhdVUcWN

Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
21 May 2016, 08:45,
A rough guide ( LS will correct me) would be
Baofeng UV5R ( I use the C model ALL the internals) are the same in UV5s
NA771 Antenna
Battery adaptor packs off E bay so you can use AA or AAA batts
BUT
Some folks simply buy extra but larger capacity 3200Mah batteries

Accessories as needed

FYI as a mariner I think you can have the marine Ch 16 installed I THINK?

I bought mine already checked and inspected by UK importer from Sinotel in the Midlands, slighter dearer than E bay but problem free.

You will need a cable and download CHIRP to reprog your radios if required.

16 December 2016, 21:19,
Here's a good article on doing your own dirt cheap di-pole for an HT...

https://brushbeater.wordpress.com/2016/1...-y-dipole/