• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Montague Paratrooper B.O.B
24 May 2016, 14:34,
RE: Montague Paratrooper B.O.B
Have fun Nem

24 May 2016, 19:53,
[quote='Nemesis' pid='97128' dateline='1464009147']
The bike is on order should have it before weekend.

Now looking at this to add to it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_iviUNmjeQ

Nice bike Nem.

Let us know what its like after you've tested it a little.

You were discussing luggage earlier... If they are still in business have a look for Carridace gear, I've stuff that's still going strong after 20years heavy use. Its expensive but worth the extra.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

24 May 2016, 22:20,
That carradice gear looks really good, but I need to not spend to much now, I am happy with the PCV coated 600D Cordura Double Side Panniers, I found the green set which ended up costing me more money £3 more then the black set, ordered from Germany.

Guys I bought the wrong Bike, only noticed it when I picked it up, but I still got it I think its not far from being as good as the paratrooper, just a bit of marketing tbh, I could upgrade a few bits and it would be as good, I feel it meets my needs.

Rear rack on order, Panniers on route got decent set of USB lights that will work with that solar mat NR introduced me to, I should have it all ready for testing by June.

Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
25 May 2016, 08:21,
In most cases you pay a premium for the brand name, but when the patents expire the generic versions tend to be just as good, in your case if the FRAME is good quality everything else can be changed, upgraded, tweaked as time and budgets allow. IF this is to be your primary vehicle after TSHTF dont not forget the ESSENTIAL SPARES

Bearing sets head stock, wheels, pedal crank bearings
Brake blocks / pads
Chain
Cables

Puncture repair kits OR puncture proof tyres (Green tyre Co Middlesbrough)

25 May 2016, 11:33,
I think this is marketed to remove the idea of military type bike as you might be surprised how many people would not buy one because of the army side of it, but its the same bike and instead of 24 gears its got 16 or 18 I forget, does not come with rear rack and mud guards, I could for a few hundred upgrade it to the same spec, but I am content with this one.

Bought to get my fitness up and it will do that, bought to take out wild camping and no problem there, also bought to help carry kit but as for true BOV I don't think I will take the bike route as I am not a lone wolf.

25 May 2016, 17:10,
Good that you are satisfied with it.

Really the number of gears only affects the closeness of the ratios one to the next. So if the lowest and highest ratios are the same as those on the 24 speed version it'll be able to tackle pretty much the same severity of terrain.

Re NR's comment on spare parts, keep an eye open for some old school mountain bike thumb gear shifters. The best ones are able to have the indexing switched off and were made by made by Shimano or Suntour. These will keep functioning long, long after the modern rapid-fire quick-shift levers have expired.

I look forward to hearing how it rides.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

25 May 2016, 18:50,
Dont forget if you lend the bike to Skean Dhude make sure you put a sticker on the handle bars saying THIS WAY FORWARD Smile

25 May 2016, 20:12,
Specifications:

Color Gloss Black

Frame Custom drawn 7005 Series Aluminum with FIT System. Power Angle geometry.

Fork SR Suntour Suspension. 63mm travel. Alloy one piece lower.
Rims 26” Alloy. 32 hole. Silver.
Tires CST Knobby. Front and Rear Specific. 26 x 1.95”.
Hubset Sealed front & rear with CLIX™ front quick release.
Spokes 14 Gauge Stainless
Saddle Aero Mountain.
Seatpost 30.0 X 300mm.
Handlebars 30mm rise. 580mm length.
Stem Alloy Quill Style. 110mm.
Shifters Shimano RevoShift.
Front Derailleur Shimano Tourney.
Rear Derailleur Shimano Tourney.
Crankset 42/34/24. 170mm crank arm. Black.
Speeds 18
Brakeset Tektro Alloy V-Brakes. Alloy Levers.
Pedals Trekking pedal with all-weather non-slip tread.
Bottom Bracket Sealed Cartridge
Frame Sizes 16”, 18”, 20”
Folded Size 36” x 28” x 12”
Approx Weight 32lbs

26 May 2016, 07:01,
Thanks for the spec sheet Nem. it looks fine.

The weak point in from my experience will be those revoshift levers as they have a reputation for failing quite quickly. If you're quick, and for a small investment, here is a link to the simple but robust type of shifter I mentioned earlier:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Thumb-...352wt_1141

They are small and lightweight so you could put them in store as a reserve, even on the boat.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

26 May 2016, 12:52,
OK and as this thread is about bike Bov and not me here is a link with some detail how to fit the shifter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-S0hOkDWw0