Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why you should always carry extra fuel, enough to complete your journey
23 May 2016, 17:55,
Why you should always carry extra fuel, enough to complete your journey
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel...ourts.html

23 May 2016, 17:58,
RE: Why you should always carry extra fuel, enough to complete your journey
Never mind industrial action, or conflict, it could just be an accident, land slide, bad weather or volume of traffic , power cuts or any of a dozen reasons why the fuel stations along the way are shut. But do note just how quickly these days people resort to violence over even the most modest of delays.

24 May 2016, 07:48,
We have a 2000 mile road trip next month, the furthest point of which is in France, so this is a timely reminder.

With reserves that we'll be carrying our total range will be 800 to 900 miles. Hopefully this will see us through whatever the militant French can throw at us anyway.

I need to put some thought to upgrading the GHBs, probably ending up with pretty much full BOBs, including light camping gear.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

24 May 2016, 08:37,
Here we go again. It's coming up for strike time in France and the stroppy lot are out to cause maximum inconvenience. If you are going to be out in French countryside LS, make sure you have spares of everything. It won't be just the petrol stations closed!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
24 May 2016, 08:38,
Ensure you have at least enough to transit the high risk area IE France in one go, fill up at the border.

24 May 2016, 08:39,
Wonder if their is an English language travel disruption news service in English that covers France??, failing that use your Ham gear to hail French Ham users and find out where the problems and fuel is.

24 May 2016, 11:02,
LS your going but if coming up from Italy I'd hang a left into Spain and come home via Santander, avoid France altogether. While in Santander pop into the local Carrefour and stock up in tinned butter.
ATB
Harry
24 May 2016, 11:10,
Avoiding France should be the normal default setting for Brits

24 May 2016, 11:49,
A perfick example of why you need extra fuel and lots of alternative routes, I give you London this morning.
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport...55176.html

24 May 2016, 12:53,
Hi Mary, god to hear from you. Yes, critical spares and emergency provisions will be carried.

NR: I'll be carrying limited ham gear, mainly for local-ish coms. I'm French speaking so local hams will serve as a good information source for me. Also I'll have a receiver with me for MW LW and SW broadcasts. This will definitely pull in BBC and all the usual English language news broadcasters.

Harry, Good idea, but I'll be entering and exiting France from the Italian / Swiss boarder. Plan is to brim tanks and reserves before entering France and to have sufficient + some extra for diversions to get me out again. I've lots of experience of getting past the Revolting French so hopefully they will not get the better of me this time either:-)
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580