Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brexit
23 May 2016, 21:06,
Brexit
Is anyone thinking of leaving the UK if we don't get a Brexit?. Where would you go and why?.
23 May 2016, 21:48,
RE: Brexit
If Hillary gets elected I understand that a substantial group of legislators in Texas wants to execute plans to secede from the Union and become a Republic. Military veterans with an Honorable Discharge from any branch of service who are US citizens would be allowed to apply for permanent residence, as would retired and serving law enforcement, fire, public health and emergency medical services.

http://www.thetnm.org/
http://www.texasmonthly.com/politics/mos...to-secede/
http://www.ibtimes.com/texas-secession-m...es-2368036

I don't know how they would view UK expats, but if they really follow through, it might be interesting to watch.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
23 May 2016, 21:51,
This from the website: http://www.thetnm.org/texas_economy_9

Texas is now ranked as the 9th largest economy in the world ($1.8T) ahead of Brazil (1.7T), Canada (1.6T), and Spain, Australia, Mexico, and Russia (1.1T-1.2T). And, at the current rate of economic growth, Texas is also on track to overtake Italy and end 2016 as the 8th largest economy in the world.

These figures are based on Gross Domestic Product, one of the primary indicators of a country's economic performance. It is calculated by either adding up everyone's income during the period or by adding the value of all final goods and services produced in the country during the year.

But these new figures overshadow what is perhaps the real story - per capita GDP.

Per capita GDP is a measure of the total output of a country that takes the GDP and divides it by the number of people in the country. The per capita GDP is the most useful comparison between countries because it measures their relative performance. A rise in per capita GDP signals growth in the economy and tends to translate as an increase in productivity.

The current estimated per capita GDP for Texas ranks us as 5th in the entire world only exceeded by Luxembourg, Switzerland, Qatar, and Norway. This also puts us far ahead of the United States.

Despite that great news, the continued membership of Texas in the United States is not only holding us back, but is threatening our status as an economic powerhouse.

Federal economic and energy policy along with excessive regulations and mounting national debt have caused a decline in the growth rate of the Texas economy. For the first time in 13 years the growth rate of the Texas economy has fallen to match that of the rest of the United States.

Commenting on these new numbers, TNM Executive Director Nate Smith had this to say

“It's no surprise to me that Texas is now one of the 10 greatest economies in the world. Making Texas economically great has been achieved in spite of harmful regulations coming from the Federal government.”

He went on to link the economic issue in Texas with the current debate over Britain’s membership in the European Union.

“Just as Britain faces the oppression of their economy from excessive and unbalanced EU regulations, so does Texas from US regulations. And, just like the State of Great Britain has done, the State of Texas must also call for a vote to leave the American Union.”

73 de KE4SKY
In
USA
23 May 2016, 22:08,
Aguy, my bro in law in currently in Italy and if we dont escape the EUSSR he hopes to move to either Serbia or new Zealand, my son is looking at Canada or the US, My niece is looking at Australia

23 May 2016, 22:10,
Charles its not just TX, I know preppers on another US forum who say Oregon, Montana, Idaho and Wyoming are muttering about a second Confederacy based on supermacy of STATE sovereignty and the main govt only being administrive

23 May 2016, 22:17,
Aguy FYI did you heere the Aussie High Commisioner on TV this week, he said he wants much closer tie between Aus and UK with rights of residency for both nationals in both countries without constraints. That could be handy, I would consider moving to Oz to retire if I could get my pension paid down there when I get to that age and I did not have to apply for residency.

23 May 2016, 22:17,
NR, you are quite correct. Most of America's Heartland west of the Mississippi, essentially the entire area contained in the Louisiana Purchase from France in 1803 plus Texas, Idaho and Oregon make been making noises about this.

https://www.monticello.org/site/jefferso...a-purchase

73 de KE4SKY
In
USA
23 May 2016, 22:34,
Good because the Fed govt has become a millstone around the necks of the Americans.

23 May 2016, 23:10,
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/20...paris.html

YEEHAW!! Texas Secessionists Already Have an Embassy in Paris

Secession talk is heating up again in Texas. Will France once again recognize it as its own country?

PARIS — Near Place Vendôme in the most luxurious corner of Paris, a few steps from the Ritz and across from a new Louis Vuitton store, but high above the street where nobody is likely to notice, a legend engraved in stone marks the site of the Ambassade du Texas, and informs the passer-by below that on 29 September 1839 France was the first nation to recognize that short-lived republic.

This historical relic of Lone Star independence in la ville lumière is a quaint reminder of the nation that once was and, between the etched lines, of its particularly grim, even gruesome, history of slavery, anti-Hispanic racism, grand delusions and grinding privations. French recognition, after all, was not a matter of idealism or ideology, but of greed, and much of Texas at the time was a hell on earth that some of the cynical French tried to sell to their countrymen as paradise...

In 2009, Texas Gov. Rick Perry flirted with the notion of secession, if Washington “continues to thumb their noses at the American people, who knows what may come out of that?...”

François Lagarde, a professor emeritus at the University of Texas who is now back in his native France, is one of the few scholars who’s looked closely at that period from a European perspective. In the 2003 book, The French in Texas, which he edited, Lagarde notes that while the slave-holding guarantee encouraged immigration from the southern United States, it complicated hoped-for annexation because of Northern opposition, and it caused a problem when it came to desperately needed international recognition.

The French and British, clearly, did not give a damn about the so-called Monroe Doctrine warning foreign powers to stay out of the Western Hemisphere. They were all over the place, in fact, and ready to protect their interests. But the British, who had abolished slavery in 1833, would not recognize the independence of Texas “until the Texas Congress ratified a secret treaty on the suppression of the slave trade in 1842,” according to Lagarde. (As I wrote in my book, Our Man in Charleston, last year, stopping the African slave trade was a British obsession.)

The French weren’t so picky. They still had slaves in their colonies (abolition didn’t come until 1848) and they had considerable ambitions in Latin America. Decades later they would conquer Mexico and try to establish a satellite empire there, and in 1838 they already were nibbling around the fringes of the country...

One of the French admiral’s aides visited Galveston and Houston a few months later and wrote a report, quoted by Lagarde, that seems to have been a model of the genre: “Mexico would never win Texas back as the ‘Anglo-Saxon race’ was obviously superior to the ‘degenerate’ Spanish race. Slavery was unavoidable, as the profit was high, and if France were to establish ‘very advantageous commercial relationships’ with Texas, it would have to allow slavery.”

At about the same time, Lagarde tells us, the French embassy in Washington sent a young, ambitious and rather unscrupulous junior diplomat, Alphonse Dubois de Saligny, to check out the new republic. It took him three months to get there from D.C., he spent about the same amount of time traveling to some parts of Texas, lied about traveling to others, and wrote a glowing report in which he opined that the Mexican race was doomed to “disappear before the onrush of modern civilization pioneered by the Texians,” that annexation by the United States “would never take place,” and that the Indian threat was “negligible.”

Thus France should recognize the Republic of Texas to take advantage, in de Saligny’s words, of “the opportunity open to us to establish our influence over a portion of this continent, and to open important outlets for our industry and navigation.”
De Saligny then went back to Paris, where he worked with the Texas envoy there on the Treaty of Amity, Navigation and Commerce signed in October 1839. According to Lagarde, there may have been a little sweetener involved: a $50,000 bribe to the French authorities.

But the hoped-for influence and commerce between France and Texas never did materialize. Internationally, the Anglo-Saxon Texans preferred the Anglo-Saxon English, and, close at hand, yes, they did want to be annexed by the United States, and finally they were—provoking the 1846-1848 war in which the U.S. won California as well.

De Saligny, meanwhile, seems to have let his easily caricatured French arrogance get the better of him...paying his bills with counterfeit currency...sending a flunky to kill the pigs (with pistols and a pitchfork) of one of the men to whom he owed cash. When the man with the pigs grabbed de Saligny by the throat and shook him, de Saligny, indignant, wrote, “In view of such facts, Sir, I should be tempted to believe myself in the midst of a savage tribe, rather than in the bosom of a civilized and friendly nation.”

As Lagarde tells us, despite efforts to persuade the French to come to beautiful Texas, few did...A few of the French who did come left a mark. One Parisian designed the first state capitol building in Austin, but Lagarde concludes on a note that suggests just how difficult life was for most of those who put their faith in the vaunted promise of an independent Texas. He quotes a report in the Houston Telegraph and Texas Register written in 1843 from the settlement at Victoria, about 120 miles southeast of San Antonio:

“The few French Families that settled near this town have suffered many privations. … They expected to find a paradise in Texas, where they would obtain the comforts and even the luxuries of life with little labor, and of course they were disappointed. Several of them became insane, probably from discouragement and the suffering they were enduring. One of them, an old lady, while insane paddled across the Guadeloupe [River] on a log, and as soon as she got upon the opposite bank, she commenced dancing and singing in high glee, supposing she was out of Texas. She had previously been exceedingly melancholy.”

73 de KE4SKY
In
USA
24 May 2016, 10:57,
The DM is not publishing comments about any likely repercussions to the remains from the leavers who are betrayed by the EU. Think the MSM must be somewhat afraid of any consequences the UK must face in its fractured society, because I honestly believe the politicians my kiss and make up after the vote but the general population will not.