Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bug In or OUT Your response times matter
11 September 2016, 05:23,
RE: Bug In or OUT Your response times matter
I know you were in the Virginia beltway area Jonas, so if you are 2 hours away have you moved into the Maryland panhandle or into West VA?
11 September 2016, 08:27,
(10 September 2016, 16:11)Jonas Wrote: We have it! We will start prepositioning stuff in a week or so!

Congratulations Mr & Mrs Jonas. Well done. Just don't overdo it prepositioning things.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

11 September 2016, 20:55,
I would hope West Virginia, as while far western Maryland, Garrett County, for instance, is heavenly, you still have the state's leftist politics to deal with. West Virginia may be economically depressed, but taxes are lower and the government interferes less with your life. Not perfect, but more rural, self reliant people, and fewer city sheeple.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
12 September 2016, 02:48,
I was thinking the same.

Going north or south in that region is simply more of the same 5000 per square mile insanity and it does not really thin out until you reach WVA.
12 September 2016, 15:47,
Mort, we've been in Richmond VA for a year now. BOL is down in the piedmont area on the NC border.
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!
12 September 2016, 16:57,
If you have to follow the work, Richmond outskirts are better than NoVa anywhere along the I95 north of Quantico/Fredericksburg. Since your BOL is towards the south, Chesterfield County is a nice area outside the city which gives you a jump start in the direction towards your BOL.

Drawback is that the schools in Chesterfield County are not the best, unless they have improved since I last visited there. But fire, EMS and police services are excellent and their public safety radio communications (which I worked on post 9/11) are state of the art. Multiple routes out of the area beside the Interstate system are a big plus! Learn the back roads!!

Many areas which used to have rural character have been ruined by urban sprawl and development, Mechnicsville, Glen Allen, etc. Some areas east of Richmond, Varina, etc. have maintained their rural character, but have become expensive and lack the quality of services and shopping, schools, of other surrounding areas. Overall Richmond is a very livable city with nice amenities if you like a suburban lifestyle, but you can find suburbs having more of a rural character, depending upon your price range. But overall MUCH less expensive than anything within a Metro ride distance into DC from Fairfax, Arlington, Loudoun or Prince William Counties!

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
12 September 2016, 20:47,
Charles, it's a 2 1/2 hour drive (1/2 tank of gas) with maybe the first 40 miles or so on an interstate. After that, it's US and state routes only. We've timed it 4 times now using 3 different routes.

We're retired with grandkids... we could care less about work and schools...
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!