Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An idiot level expensive mistake.
27 May 2016, 21:16,
Most of you know I recently ripped the heart out of Castle NR to give me a bigger kitchen with much more food storage, and thereby laid the seeds of my own downfall, at 03.40 AM last night as the household slept................BANG, Crash, multiple bangs, more crashes, lots more crashes, sounds of glass breaking, wood snapping followed by a god almighty MASSIVE bang. Leapt out of bed wife and son OK but as terrified as me.
Grabs flashlight and heads downstairs. Hall ? OK, Living room? OK, Dining room? OK......... kitchen...............Oh dear god it looks like an 82mm mortar had gone off. Tins, cans, tubs, packets, glass jars, plastic bottles, crockery you name it all over tthe floor intermingled with wrecked brand new kitchen wall units.
The line of 4 x 1000 mm wall units had ripped the rawl plugs and screws out of the hollow plasterboard wall and crashed onto the worktops before toppling over and smashing all over the laminate floor. The units were secured to the wall EXACTLY as per instructions with three expanding cavity wall plugs and three 1 3/4 number 8 screws in each of the two brackets in each wall unit.
The screws were still securely affixed in the rawl plugs but the plugs had ripped out of the plaster board. As the first bracket had failed and pulled out of the wall it pulled the next bracket with it, then the next and the next like a zip unfastening.
So four MORE new 1000 mm wall units later..................................
The only thing we can think of is being preppers we filled our cupboards to the max when we stock up and the cupboard that failed first was chock full of cans, We reckon that basically the brackets, plugs and screw could not take a full load of canned goods and the extra weight caused the plugs to rip out of the wall taking chunks of plasterboard with them . ( Not a problem in older houses with proper solid brick internal walls).
So now the replacement wall units are secured again with the supplied brackets and three plugs and screws in each one, PLUS 3 x 100mm L brackets on each unit at the top holding the unit to the wall, AND the bottom of the units now resting on a 4 meter long 45 x 60 mm length of plained timber screwed and pluged every 15 inches AND glued with no more nails for the battom of the unit to spread the load along the whole wall.
So folks if you are adding extra wall storage in your homes for extra supplies and you have hollow walls then please take a belt and braces approach to mounting the units as factory standard fittings REALLY are not enough to do the job properly.

27 May 2016, 21:56,
RE: An idiot level expensive mistake.
Bloody hell NR. Sounds scary. Lucky no one was under them when they fell.

I'd give the manufacturers hell for giving incorrect fitting instructions.

Hope the new fitting technique solves the issue.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

28 May 2016, 04:31,
Let me understand this???

You hung cabinet work from hollow drywall using expansion plugs, then loaded it up with dinnerware, china, tinned foods etc.?

What were you thinking?

It is not even recommended to hang heavy pictures or mirrors from unbacked plasterboard, it always rips out. You can punch a hole through that stuff with your fist.

You plug cabinet work into the studs and rafter joists. I tagged mine in with 4" #12 wood screws through the brackets that come with the cabinet work for that purpose.
28 May 2016, 09:57,
Not possible unfortunately TC the brackets for mounting each unit are on each end and cannot be mounted anywhere else on the carcasses, the vertical studs are in all the wrong places and the noggins at the wrong height, I would have needed to demolish the whole wall and staircase on the other side just to rebuild it with the timber frames in the right place. According to the stud finder thingy the upright studs are at either 18 inch or 24 inch centres but the cupboard mountings are at 38 inches. So I used the heaviest load spreading metal rawl plug things I could. They SHOULD have held but they didnt , lesson learned for next time.

What I dont get is this (a) Why did the builders build the kitchen with the main cupboard wall that way? (b) the original builder installed kitchen cupboards were mounted in exactly the same way on the same wall. Sooooo agreeing with your valid points why was the main kitchen cupboard wall not build with studding and framing in the correct place for mounting wall units??

28 May 2016, 09:58,
LS if those cupboards fall again they will take the whole side of the house with them.

28 May 2016, 09:59,
I may do a redesign or the redesign to add a second floor to ceiling larder cupboard cos I'm not cutting back on stocks of food.

28 May 2016, 10:21,
I use shelf units in the garage, can't get the car in now...its like a small supermarket in there these days lol
ATB
Harry
28 May 2016, 10:32,
Good of you to tell us NR hind sight is a wonderful thing !

When constructing stud partitions , think ahead in a kitchen area noggins could have been set at a predetermined height to hang the brackets.

There are other fixings for plasterboard...... butterfly clamps pre,drill hole slide the sprung loaded clamp through the hole (you would have to feed the bolt through the bracket first ) when clamp is pushed through it will spring out the butterfly arms you just tighten up.
Plastic butterfly raw plugs.....similar to a clamp but pulls the plastic arms against the plasterboard.

Metal cast self drilling raw plug ...large screw worm ...as you drive this in it cuts and tightens itself into the board ...in the centre it has a screw port for the screw fixing.

The screws for these brackets are standard 2" 10 s more than enough .

so when things go wrong for you ....tell us like NR .....we all learn something ....the very purpose of this forum.
28 May 2016, 10:38,
Ah buy Harry same time as I rebuilt the kitchen I turned the garage into my den !!!! Smile

28 May 2016, 10:42,
I think that if I had to carry out this redesign again and taking "prepping" into consideration, I think I would increase the amount of floor standing Larder units from 1 to possibly 3 units, especially now thinking more about all the extra weight involved. twas an expensive mistake I thinking the original builders method of putting up units would be good enough to repeat.