Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
How long would you last?
31 May 2016, 08:30, (This post was last modified: 31 May 2016, 08:32 by Lightspeed.)
RE: How long would you last?
Good point Midnight,

We've got water-in and liquid/toilet waste-out covered, but not wrapping, tins etc. Over a period of months these will build up to considerable volumes.

If simply in quarantine lock-down, all combustible material would go through the wood burner, while tins would be crushed and buried.

If in full lay-low lock-down, burning of refuse, noise created flattening cans and even the burying process itself would all create problems.

Re unwelcome visitors, this would be an especially delicate issue, especially during a quarantine lock down while rule of law persisted. Warning signs on access points, combined with increased physical deterrents (barbed wire, dogs in the garden etc.)

Another consideration is our cats: In a quarantine lock down they'd have to be kept in the house until the all-clear was certain. If for any reason any of them got outdoors and wandered off the property they would for sure go walk about around neighbouring houses, and rubbish heaps. Sadly this would require their extermination I think. That's a bit of a dilemma as I'd expect that there would at the same time be an increase in the population of rodents, the cntrol of which is the precise reason for keeping the cats in the first place.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

31 May 2016, 08:58,
LS Not so on some points.

Cardboard and paper will end up as toilet paper and fire lighters, plastic bottles for growing seedlings in, tins for making garden alarms, clingfilm, plastic bags will be reused until they disintegrate. In a country not far from you old cans are recycled to make irrigation systems in rural village veg patches.

Late arrivals at you place could possibly be quarantined for a week in an outhouse or tent or shed if they are family

Cats as much as I hate them = Vermin control which will be essential, you can make and or buy doofahs that fit a door or window that the cats can only access the house through, and to enter they have to pass through a short catflap covered tube or box that makes them walk across a bit of constantly wetted carpet that is a mix of water and disinfectant. They will either use that or stay out doors Smile

31 May 2016, 09:37,
Plan to leave the cats out on their own. Let them look after themselves, keep the vermin down and it doesn't matter if they wander or not. If you don't feed them they will hunt to live. I watched one day as a mouse sat next to our cat whilst it ate its food then wandered away. Sure it killed them but more because of its nature. You need them to actively hunt.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
31 May 2016, 09:40,
You're right NR, recycling as much waste as possible is a good idea.

Likewise the late arrivals area. We are lucky enough to currently have two entirely separated dwellings here, albeit that they are now merged under a single roof. This summer will see a third completely independently habitable unit and this one can be configured to have its own access as well (fire escape route).

Cats: You're thinking as a dog-person NR. Good idea about the controlled cat-flap and indeed we have one of those. Likewise a disinfected pass way. But cats have the horrible habit of brining in disease, and parasites within their fur like a dog, and also in their saliva. Cats being opportunists acrobats cannot be kept at floor level like dogs. They jump onto work-surfaces, dining tables sink units etc. ever in the search of left -overs and edible crumbs. By licking cups plates and cutlery they are a real health menace, and if there were a human contagion on the lose, they would represent a major transmitter threat...... even now, as a matter of precaution, the humans at this address take de-worming medicines twice yearly, and we have supplies to be able to continue doing so for a few years hence. I stand by the idea that in such a scenario, the cats would have to be kept indoors until the danger to our health has passed. During that time rodent control in the garden and outbuildings would have to be my responsibility.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

31 May 2016, 09:46,
SD: Good point. I hadn't considered it from that perspective. I was coming from it from the wrong direction.

Our guys are indeed quite capable of living outdoors, even in extreme temperatures. We frequently leave them for days at a time to look after themselves, and their sister, who remains feral, lives outdoors all year round.

This serves best as their instinct will be to remain as near to the house as possible and their hunger will see them hunting vermin in earnest.

...and the get to live another day/month/year
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

31 May 2016, 09:49,
What about just not letting the moggies into your house, feed them outdoors so they dont bugger off, find a nice warmish place they can sleep etc. Seems a pity to bump of your moggies if you like them, like I say if they are any good they will keep the vermin at bay which get into far more places than cats do. Or they will have to remain indoors full time and you better go and buy a ton of cat litter ( which is another multi use product not just for cat crap)

31 May 2016, 09:52,
Kitty Litter is Not Just for Cats

Since you're a cat lover and caretaker, you already have bags or boxes of kitty litter in your house (or trunk of your car, as I do). With some creative thinking, you'll realize that you can use that kitty litter for much more than litter box filler. Some ideas are below.

Note that for the majority of the following suggestions, traditional clay litter - not clumping - is recommended.

•If you have a problem with dampness and mildew in the bottom of your trash cans, sprinkle a thin layer of fresh cat box filler; change the litter every week or whenever it is damp.

•To lessen staining from fresh oil or grease spots on driveways, sprinkle on clean cat box filler, wait a few minutes, and sweep off. Dispose in the same manner you would dispose of used oil. You may have to apply a second sprinkling. Use a soft brick to grind the cat box filler into the oil. You don't have to bear down too hard, just maintain a steady circular motion to achieve the best results. When the filler is reduced to a fine powder and remains light in color, you will have removed all but the final residue that clings to the voids in the surface. This light-colored residue will lighten further the longer it is exposed to the sun. Be sure to dispose of oil-soaked cat box filler as local laws require for disposal of used oil.

•Cat box filler may be used to absorb small amounts of water that leak into a basement after a heavy rain or to help remove musty odors.

•Cat box filler may be used to get rid of spray paint (graffiti) on sidewalks. Sprinkle the cat box filler over the letters. Do not use any water - the drier the better. Put on a pair of old sneakers and grind the litter into the sidewalk. The paint should come out, and it is great aerobic exercise!

•Put cat box filler into ashtrays to reduce odor.

•Use cat box filler to anchor dried or silk flower stems.

•To dry fresh flowers, cut them at their peak and set in tray filled with 1 inch of cat box filler. Cover flowers with more filler. Allow to dry in a dark, dry spot for 2-7 days.

•Carry cat box filler in the trunk of your car and use it to aid tire traction on icy roads. It can also provide traction and improve safety on sidewalks, steps and driveways. Sprinkle a small amount on the ground before you get out of your car for foot traction in icy conditions.

•Mix an equal part of soil and clean cat box filler, proceed to plant your flowers, shrubs or vegetables. Your soil will remain moist providing for better root development. The litter will retain the humidity at root level. It can be used safely on any type of plant.

•Pour two inches of non-fragrant cat box filler in the bottom of your cooking grill. The filler will absorb drippings and keep the grill clean. It provides better draft for proper cooking, and it will direct heat upwards because of its insulating nature. Since cat box filler soaks up drippings, danger of flare-ups is virtually eliminated. Do not use water to extinguish fire. Cover charcoal with the cat box filler. When the cat box filler becomes saturated with drippings, simply empty and replace with fresh.

•To make inexpensive shoe deodorizers, fill old socks with cat box filler and then stuff the socks into your shoes.

•Use cat box filler to clean up pet accidents.

•Cat box filler reduces musty, damp smells in the holds and cabins of boats.

•Deodorize stinky shoes by placing a cup or two of cat litter in knee-high pantyhose, tie a knot and leave it in the shoe overnight.

•To deodorize a stale-smelling refrigerator, pour unused cat litter in a shallow box and place in the center of the refrigerator. Unplug the refrigerator and leave the litter in for five days.

•Use cat litter to clean up oil or paint spills. A 10-pound sack of litter will absorb more than a gallon of liquid.

•An inexpensive clay mask can be made out of cat litter. Purchase an all-natural, 100-percent clay cat litter that is scent-free. Mix three tablespoons of cat litter with about three tablespoons of water, then mix with a mortar and pestle. It's perfect for detoxifying the skin.

•Cat litter makes an effective odor remover as well. If, as one reader wrote, someone has stored fresh-cut onions in a cooler, you put some cat litter into a stocking and put it in the ice chest and close it, the next day the odor will be gone.

•Many people use 100% silica gel kitty litter inside their humidors to keep their humidor functioning properly and their cigars within the safe zone (constant humidity level between 65 and 70% when in a closed environment).

31 May 2016, 09:57,
One Mog can kill an average of 12 critters a day if they are good hunters thats a major plus, so if they can be kept outdoors they will become an asset. Though I would trade a million moggies for one Terrier, cats hunt if and when they feel like it, terriers can be trained to hunt all day. Hows about considering getting a working JR to suppliment the cats, plus the dog is still the best intruder detector going.

31 May 2016, 10:11,
I'd last an easy six months and I have a water supply so drinking is not an issue.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kitchen-Craft-S...an+crusher a gadget often overlooked by preppers and worth having, using old cans on an alarm line is just putting out an advert saying "keep away as I have goodies".

I'd drop my garden antennas and rely on the Loop I have in the attic for comms.

If it hits the fan comms/intelligence will be down to radio hams, the CB/Baofeng users will be sat sucking thumbs or talking to a mate down the road lol. I've solar panels charging a battery bank and LED lights. This is a good backup https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-U5yk4u4Hg well worth getting while they are still available... get two or more if you can afford to.
ATB
Harry
31 May 2016, 10:27,
HarryP:

Does the crusher completely crush normal food grade tin cans to a flat circle, or does it just dent them to make them smaller, if you know what I mean?

Good point about antennas. Ditto, the garden doublet will come down and will be replaces with a fine gauge end fed. We now have a tin roof, so while affording great isolation for the shack, we can no longer have in-loft antennas. My solution was to install a soil vent that's configured so that I can hoist a 30m vertical through it. This works fine for long range HF. Of course the horizontal end fed remains the primary NVIS antenna for continuous coms out to 200 to 300 miles.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580