Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
How long would you last?
7 July 2016, 11:18,
RE: How long would you last?
I could survive quite a while if I could prevent outside interference, realistically though it wouldn't be long until people started poking their noses into my business when they smelled woodsmoke or heard me working. I live in the least populated part of the least populated county in Wales (funny enough the least populated country in the UK) I can heat, cook and flush all off grid. We currently have about 12 months bulk food chosen for long shelf life and rotated out by buying new and eating the oldest stock first. (We eat a lot of rice, rice with everything because it's cheap and stores well in the original packaging further protected in 220liter food standard drums)
If people followed their instructions and stayed isolated diseases wouldn't be transmitted person to person but human nature being what it is and people being stupid and inconsiderate as they are....well, there's my rant. Btw. Bacterial spores can last for decades while virus mutate with each new contact. Plus you then get disease vectors such as biting insects or rats. The government's initial 2 week estimate in this scenario seems rather optimistic.
9 July 2016, 12:07,
We would be okay for a few weeks, possibly up to eight. Like someone said Boredom would be the biggest problem within the home. We live in town 20 miles from large NW City, which I fear would bring our biggest problems, but being such a well populated City I daresay the numbers would be thinned out dramatically.
8 August 2016, 19:00,
Interesting thread, I like the scenario idea.

Easy to say a figure whilst its kind of a game of thoughts.
But I think I would be ok for three months atm, if no invasion of gang looters break in.
Makes me think of possible hidden stash though, Maybe something I should consider for the future.
(I guess our main real threat would be desperate relatives, with a "just popping around to see if your ok" yeah right!!!)
8 August 2016, 19:26,
I've found four bottles of Coca Cola with a use by date of November 2006, when I open one should I drink it as is or add a a good splash of Rum LOL.
ATB
Harry
8 August 2016, 22:29,
Rum y Coca Cola si, Cuba Libre no, por Cuba es no Libre!

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
13 August 2016, 07:21,
(31 May 2016, 10:40)NorthernRaider Wrote: ........
FYI chaps some of the HAM guys in the US are now using DRONES to hoist very very long wires high into the sky to broadcast then obviously landing them and hiding them when not in use.

NR, I just happened upon tis comment you made awhile back.

I think that the idea of using drones to hoist antennas is just that, an idea.

When I think drones, I think of those multi- prop radio controlled gizmos. Assuming enough lift to get a light wire antenna up in the air, the first squirt of RF ( Radio Frequency transmission) would in all likelihood saturate the drone's radio control receiver, control would be lost and the drone would crash...

However, a tried and tested way to get big antennas aloft without towers and masts is to use Sled kites. There are guys in the midlands who haul up some pretty big arrays this way, and get good results too.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

13 August 2016, 12:39,
LS

You may be right when it comes to radio antennas upon a drone. The RF signal MAY
cause the drone to crash.

However there have been plenty of experiments with WIFI mounted on a drone or even a mobile phone. These at the end of the day do use part of the radio spectrum.

It might be interesting to mount a WIFI access point atop a drone to see what can be done.

Conversely one could use WIFI to disable a drone, especially those pesky PTB ones :-)

Rock On tommy
13 August 2016, 13:05,
Generally if hoisting a tall vertical antenna, it would be a 1/2 wave in length. This is the lightest configuration to lift and does not require ground radials to function...handy when the lifting device is in capable of less than perfect VTOL.

The snag with 1/2 waves is that they always have VERY high voltages at their ends. Not good for the lifting drone, and even if the connection between the wire and drone were say insulating monofilament line, I've seen such lines vaporized many times by seemingly low powered transmissions.

When you say wifi I assume you mean a range extender or repeater as I cannot imagine how heavy data cabling would be to connect a hub to a port.

And yes both Wifi and Mobile phones are using Radio Frequency.

Maybe the control of the experimental drones was by IR, like on those little radio controlled helicopters???
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580