Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MRE info
5 June 2016, 13:05,
RE: MRE info
(5 June 2016, 11:08)Midnitemo Wrote: I currently carry bp5 biscuits ,tinned cheese and bread in my bobs, approx 7500k/cal per bag for2.38 kg ,just looking to extend and vary it for minimum weight.

Weight is the whole point, as is how long will it last, as for taste of course you can add to it wild foods, depends time of year but the bottom line is your have everything your need in a small packet that won't take up space and weigh to much, it is an addition to a BOB.

As for price I believe if you use that site as a reference you could make your own for a lot less money.

I would say if you had to use your BOB then we can assume it would be an absolute last resort food so no not for a camping trip.

Huel or Gruel it is something to consider we should not dismiss it so fast, it is fully loaded with everything our bodys need that is not something you would find so easy if forced to bug out, we don't have the army support of being handed ration packs daily.

I myself am trying to build a BOB that with no outside help from others or hidden cache that will meet all my nutritional needs for 30 days.

Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
5 June 2016, 18:12,
Its not loaded with nice food to eat now is it Smile

What wild food in the UK would for go for, this time of year? How much energy will you expand gathering said food? How much energy will you get as an addition? Pine needle tea/pignuts/Burdock root et al is all fine but can be hard work gathering. How many here know when is best to dig up Burdock? when is best to gather wild berries? How to preserve them?
ATB
Harry
5 June 2016, 21:54,
Wow carrying 30 days of food is going to be some feat,bp5 is 2300k/cal for 500g in weight and there are 9 biscuits in that pack, one pack per day would be ok , you would lose a bit of weight overtime but you would become very bored of them in no time at all , 30 days of bp5 would be 15kg , plenty heavy enough to hump , without your other kit but its the cube that would be more difficult than the weight, I have vegetarians in my group hence my choices and i feel huel might be a good addition its just a shame they can't make it stable enough for long term storage (nuts content I guess) would be a great option for caching otherwise.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
5 June 2016, 21:56,
Got the £5 taster set winging its way to me.
5 June 2016, 22:01,
I sometimes mush up a few of the bp5 biscuits into a paste then warm it through for a rough approximation of porridge, tis quite nice and i'm guessing its going to be quite similar to huel except huel will be vanilla flavoured and the bp5 porridge is more oatmeal.
6 June 2016, 00:11,
The thing is it's a bug out bag I know where I will be going so it's not like I have to carry the bag for 30 days and to be honest I am only doing this test to see if it's possible, also it won't pass as a winter BOB that would be a whole new ball game.

My winter BOB would include my new bike and that pannier set I just bought.

I am not saying I can fill a BOB with 30 days food and other kit what I am trying to do is not over do the OTHER KIT which I feel many people do with there bob I focus more on the food/water and basic tools to produce heat and filtration, Light shelter from the elements, and to power some low watt 12v or less items, whatever kit I take it will be used daily stuff or it won't be going in my bob.

29 June 2016, 01:36,
(5 June 2016, 21:56)Midnitemo Wrote: Got the £5 taster set winging its way to me.

Hey my Huel arrived this morning, I had to wait as I wanted gluten free.

Today I have had 5 shakes and a kfc burger and I feel great this stuff will meet my bug out bag needs.

There is a lot of goodness in this huel and it taste ok plus I also have strawberry, maple syrup and vanilla flavors from my protein . com which will make each huel different.

http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutritio...30471.html

I think I will try this for 3 months and only eat one solid meal a day and see what happens, so far am happy with the mix, will add seeds and berries, my figs are almost ripe have a huge tree crops very well, they will go well with huel.

Last of all try one scoop with 300ml water and put it in the fridge for an hour really refreshing.

29 June 2016, 10:15,
I love the oat block
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
29 June 2016, 10:32,
Before you eat it long term, check your weight and have your doctor run a full set of blood tests then do the same after three months and look for differences in the results.
ATB
Harry
29 June 2016, 13:47,
Harry, Good point but many of us are not going to be touching this stuff until after tshtf and we won't have the capability of tests. It is more than just MREs as well

Something to think about though. I'll add that to my list.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin