Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Radio Communication needs, wants and fairy tale dreams
5 June 2016, 22:37,
RE: Radio Communication needs, wants and fairy tale dreams
Nemisis:

Get yourself the RSGB book titled Foundation Now by Alan Betts. This contains the whole of the foundation license syllabus.

If their schedule of training works for you, I'd go with the Chelmsford club.

Most modern radios allow you to power down to lower levels, but not all, so download instruction manuals to check first.

If you tell us what you want to do with your radios, we'll try to advise you on product options. Budget comes into this too of course.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

5 June 2016, 23:42,
(5 June 2016, 22:37)Lightspeed Wrote: Nemisis:

Get yourself the RSGB book titled Foundation Now by Alan Betts. This contains the whole of the foundation license syllabus.

If their schedule of training works for you, I'd go with the Chelmsford club.

Most modern radios allow you to power down to lower levels, but not all, so download instruction manuals to check first.

If you tell us what you want to do with your radios, we'll try to advise you on product options. Budget comes into this too of course.

My now needs would be open comms to my home from my boat, ranges from 2 miles to 10 mile depends where I am on the river at any one time.

12v for the boat and home as I have solar power offgrid at both locations, small unit for the boat size matters, something easy to understand less is more in my case.

And thanks for the advice both you and harry.

Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except your self    ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
6 June 2016, 00:50,
In UK are noncommercial boats permitted to use VHF marine band radio without a licence?

While use of marine radio on land is not permitted, limited ship to shore comunication between your boat and home would be permissible. A 25watt radio on the boat with half-wave dipole up high on the mast and a similar base radio at home with roof mounted antenna would have good range. Even portable VHF would do well with a base or mobile whip antenna, performing similarly to 2-meter ham.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
6 June 2016, 08:24,
(6 June 2016, 00:50)CharlesHarris Wrote: In UK are noncommercial boats permitted to use VHF marine band radio without a licence?

While use of marine radio on land is not permitted, limited ship to shore comunication between your boat and home would be permissible. A 25watt radio on the boat with half-wave dipole up high on the mast and a similar base radio at home with roof mounted antenna would have good range. Even portable VHF would do well with a base or mobile whip antenna, performing similarly to 2-meter ham.

As far as I know Charles, there is no exemption from licensing for VHF ship to shore, except in emergency of course.

Nemisis' boat is on a river I think, so the depth of river valleys and height of obstructions between his home and wherever the boat might be will affect choice.

I agree that VHF is likely to be the best option, especially with efficient antennas mounted high on both the house and the boat. Re VHF antennas, that might be suitable, I have a Diamond brand VHF/UHF mobile whip that might be a good choice for the boat as it is able to be folded over 90 degrees without tools....maybe useful for passing under bridges/tunnels etc. Its a relatively expensive antenna but very efficient and well constructed. Although a ham antenna it also gives near 1:1 SWR on PMR446 frequencies too.

To give an idea of range using VHF through car mounted whip antenna in your approximate area, With 10w I can reliably reach the Clacton on Sea repeater form the A12 on the London side of Chelmsford.

On VHF and UHF it might be useful to operate through existing Ham repeaters too. I think the Danbury repeater might be the one that will help you? GB3DA & GB3ER See UK Coverage maps at https://www.ukrepeater.net/2m.htm
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

6 June 2016, 11:54,
You can't broadcast at see without the permission of the captain/master of the vessel IIRC.

Go to the Google play store and search for ham repeaters, there is a great app just called Repeater which is free and will list all your local ham repeaters and gives information on them, frequencies etc; please only use repeaters when you have your license.
ATB
Harry
6 June 2016, 12:29,
(6 June 2016, 11:54)harrypalmer Wrote: You can't broadcast at see without the permission of the captain/master of the vessel IIRC.

Go to the Google play store and search for ham repeaters, there is a great app just called Repeater which is free and will list all your local ham repeaters and gives information on them, frequencies etc; please only use repeaters when you have your license.

Correct and in addition you cannot transmit at sea on a foundation license. It has to be a full license I think?
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

6 June 2016, 13:59,
Do I need a licence to operate a Marine VHF radio?

The Marine Radio Short Range Certificate remains a legal requirement for the use of marine VHF. All radios require the user and the vessel to hold a relevant licence. The vessel's licence is like a car tax disc, but is also the key to obtaining an MMSI number, which will uniquely identify your vessel. The user requires a radio 'driving licence' and two different types are available.

For VHF only, the SRC (Short Range Certificate) instructs users in radio etiquette and procedures. VHF operation itself is fairly straightforward; however, the course also teaches you about digital selective calling (DSC) functions and emergency procedures.

Source: http://www.icomuk.co.uk/Choosing-a-VHF-Marine-radio
6 June 2016, 16:28,
The regulations governing Marline VHF on "voluntary ships," meaning noncommercial vessels and pleasure boats not required to be equipped with radio, are more lenient in the US. On inland waters boaters are encouraged to carry a portable VHF to monitor channel 16, and weather and safety bulletins to mariners on Ch. 22A and to use channels 68 and 69 for "noncommercial public correspondence." Such use is "permitted by rule" and presumes that the radios will be used properly, no illegal activity, "be an adult and play nice."

In coastal waters, bays and the Great Lakes 25 watt VHF radios may be used by pleasure boaters without a licence, subject to the same "permit by rule." Use of marine radios on land is strongly discouraged and post 9/11 the FCC, Homeland Security, FAA and the Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Service have become quite adept at locating and identifying illegal transmissions, capturing oscilloscope traces to "RFID fingerprint" specific units and take action against wildcat taxicab companies, etc., which resulted in civil asset forfeitures.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA