Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An idiot level expensive mistake.
28 May 2016, 10:45,
RE: An idiot level expensive mistake.
What gnarks me is I DID put extra thought into many other aspects of the job, IE the Shelves in all the units are not just sitting on those little push in shelving studs, I added extra shelf supports, and the larder unit though floor standing I still bolted it to the wall .

28 May 2016, 13:20,
NR, You are not the first and you won't be the last. The cupboards may be OK but they never think anyone will pack them full of stuff as nobody does nowadays. Plasteboard walls may be OK for everyday normal use but that isn't what you are doing. I removed the plasterboard and replaced it with plywood with supports in my old house. You lose a few inches on the wall but it is a lot sturdier. My current abode is all brick so I don't have that issue.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
28 May 2016, 13:26,
Good tip SD lining the cupboard wall with marine grade play could be very useful to others

28 May 2016, 14:22,
Just read your post, NR. Disaster. I don't know how old your house is, but modern houses are not meant for people who want to survive for a long time in them. How about more freestanding units, just attached to the walls to keep them stable; a nice larder, perhaps? You can buy ready made ones that do hold quite a lot - we had one in France. Welsh dressers converted to all-shelves? If your walls are all made of plasterboard then there is really not a lot you can do to make them much stronger. We have a larder and it is lined with industrial metal shelving. Cost a bomb put would probably resist one!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
19 June 2016, 12:22,
(28 May 2016, 10:21)harrypalmer Wrote: I use shelf units in the garage, can't get the car in now...its like a small supermarket in there these days lol

Be very careful there you need a dehumidifier as tins rust have you put a layer of cheap varnish on at least the bottom of each tin
20 June 2016, 08:26,
I tend to buy canned food by the tray, so they are sitting on cardboard and wrapped in plastic. I do run a small air con unit as the garage can get very warm.

Have you tried coating fresh eggs in oil? they'll keep fresh for up to a year.
ATB
Harry
20 June 2016, 10:45,
(20 June 2016, 08:26)harrypalmer Wrote: I tend to buy canned food by the tray, so they are sitting on cardboard and wrapped in plastic. I do run a small air con unit as the garage can get very warm.

Have you tried coating fresh eggs in oil? they'll keep fresh for up to a year.

no is that olive oil ?

i have waxed cheese and that does work too.
The tray idea sounds good.
20 June 2016, 17:09,
http://prepared-housewives.com/preservin...ear-later/
ATB
Harry
20 February 2024, 08:55,
I learnt the had way about doing jobs right the first time. I always make sure things are coming off the walls when secured.
Always use stronger, longer screws and fixings, always ensure a double secure method, so that if a failure of material occurs a secondary method will support it.

Doing anything twice, is always a pain and disappointing. What grinds my gears, is when my daughter buys stuff and expects me to fix it, put it up/together etc without asking my advice as to the suitability of it for the job in the first place. I'll get there "it comes with all the fixings dad" and off we trot to the DIY place to get the ones she really needs. DOH !