Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
spare small chest freezer storage ideas.
19 June 2016, 11:56,
spare small chest freezer storage ideas.
I have a small 4 cu ft chest freezer and was wondering if i could store either or rice and bread flour in it aimed at the winter to avoid creepy crawlies etc would this idea work do you think, that is to repackage it in freezer baga and store with the freezer on as i say aimed at winter bread storage mainly.

Thanks.
19 June 2016, 21:00,
RE: spare small chest freezer storage ideas.
UES....do you intend to turn on this freezer ? .........it would be better and cheaper to pack it in mylar bags with oxygen absorbers stored in plastic dust bins....keep the freezer for something else.
19 June 2016, 22:16,
(19 June 2016, 21:00)Straight Shooter Wrote: UES....do you intend to turn on this freezer ? .........it would be better and cheaper to pack it in mylar bags with oxygen absorbers stored in plastic dust bins....keep the freezer for something else.

yes i was intending to turn on the freezer.
20 June 2016, 08:21,
Use the freezer as a freezer, shop around for these, they come in various sizes

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30L-Litre-Ltr-...2265780127
ATB
Harry
21 June 2016, 21:16,
(20 June 2016, 08:21)harrypalmer Wrote: Use the freezer as a freezer, shop around for these, they come in various sizes

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30L-Litre-Ltr-...2265780127

They look good i usually buy the large lock and lock ones with the handle not quite as big but they are stackable so i usually buy one with the stuff i am going to store and use kilner for things like lentils etc
28 April 2020, 19:49,
Please be VERY careful using old fridges, freezers and clothes dryers for storage.

Children love to climb in when playing hide and seek.
Once inside, they are unable to be opened.

There have been several Deaths here from these sad occurrences.
Hiding in plain sight...
15 June 2021, 19:33,
An old (broken) chest freezer would make an idea storage container for vegetables - dark, properly ventilated of course - and if you could be bothered it can also have some form of temperature regulation added in the form of a low voltage cooler (based on a reused cooler box system).

Stand it on its side, keep it out of direct sunlight.

And just to be PC, don't let the old gasses out! (when anyone is looking that is...)
15 June 2021, 21:13,
Yes BP posted about the very same thing years back .....a great idea as ever it was and with some 40mm waste pipe and a few elbows you could have your own root cellar in no time !
16 June 2021, 22:26,
Some flour, etc. comes with little bugs in. I put my flour and some other stuff in the freezer when I get home and leave it for a week. That gets rid of them.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
18 June 2021, 23:13,
Quote:That gets rid of them.

Stops them breeding maybe - they'll still be IN the flour! Good tip though - thanks!