Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
As they say in Chicago...
25 June 2016, 14:16,
RE: As they say in Chicago...
This does not sound like sour grapes - more like a spoiled brat who cannot get his/her own way stamping their feet and screaming.
It is 'grow up' time apparently.
25 June 2016, 14:30,
This is the EU way. Vote till they get the result they want.

Even if they get their way, which is unlikely then time will have passed. The world will not have collapsed. Other countries will want out and we will have moved on. If they win then it is obvious that democracy does not work and it is clear we only have limited choices.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
25 June 2016, 17:23,
A large part of what you are experiencing is the drastic division between urban and rural which every developed nation is going through I modern times.

Different value systems, different expectations; urban blind acceptance of whatever authority is in place as long as it keeps their pockets full in opposition to rural nationalism and rejection of interference in daily life and decision making.

Your vote split exactly along those urban/rural lines.

You also have the situation where if Scotland had gained their independence in the previous referendum the vote would have been even more on the "leave" side with none of their overwhelming support of Europe included in the count.

I personally feel they should have labeled the decision "balls" or "no balls". You were once a great empire with the courage to go anywhere and tackle any opposition and have become the wimps that allowed Germany to lose a war but win the peace, at the expense of GB.

The entire world knows the EU is nothing but Germany's 4th Reight, and your vote may have ended that new world order.
25 June 2016, 17:29,
I am also noting lop sided reporting of the after effects with the "crash" of the London stock exchange being reported but not the late day recovery which resulted in only a 3%-7% drop which is not unusual in a single day of trade.

There was one person who anticipated the vote correctly, George Soros, who had invested heavily in gold just a couple of weeks back and sold all his holdings when the market surged yesterday morning.

Seems he might have known something others did not.
25 June 2016, 17:36,
The urban/rural dividing line is quite accurate. Where I live, in Norfolk, practically everywhere had a 'leave' result - except for Norwich. Norfolk is a very rural location with Norwich at its centre.
Obviously those of us who live day to day and have to make decisions for ourselves on a regular basis live a different life to those who live in the anthill of the 'capital city' in this area.
Sad but seemingly a fact of life.
25 June 2016, 19:58,
As another resident in Norfolk,I confirm that the Leave vote was very strong (quite vociferous in fact). Mind, Norwich has all those students who seem to feel that only their opinions matter - pause for selfie! - and the rest of us are privileged to hear their whining. Jeez!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
26 June 2016, 02:31,
(24 June 2016, 19:32)CharlesHarris Wrote: I would offer as appropriate the preamble from our own Declaration of Independence:

"When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation."

As for Brussels trying to usurp national government, bollocks!,

"No taxation without representation!"

It appears from this side of the pond that the will of the people of Great Britain is closer to that of Americans than we give it credit for. While separated by an ocean and corrupted on both sides by greedy politicians, bankers and big business, out shared heritage. values and culture results in our being more alike than we are different.

So, from the words of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address:

"...that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

And in closing paraphrasing my favorite from Winnie!

" if all do their duty, if nothing is neglected, and if the best arrangements are made...we shall prove ourselves once again able to ...ride out the storm...and to outlive the menace of tyranny, if necessary for years, if necessary alone.

While Obama's commies may be whining about the outcome, the heartland of America and its people rejoice in your victory, and hope that we may accomplish the same in our November election!

And I wish you the same my brother
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
26 June 2016, 02:47,
You know I am a Londoner born and bred, albeit also with part american heritage. I have never and will never understand that uppity think better than arrogant city mentality that some display, so I guess I'm a rarity...
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.