Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Chilcot inquiry
6 July 2016, 16:44,
The Chilcot inquiry
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36712735

If the BBC site won't play in the USA just search for Chilcot Inquiry

Seven years in writing but wow, its looking good. Tony Bland our ex PM committed the UK to join a US led invasion of Iraq before all alternative means had been deployed and used and with no real thought to what would happen after we 'won' the land battle.

I support the troops (one myself) but not the war
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ I'd ask UK members to donate a little something if they support the troops...forget about the war.

Bland and "Dubya" will have a lot of questions to answer should they arrive before St.Peter at the gates and allowed entry...or be sent to the basement in the elevator.
ATB
Harry
6 July 2016, 23:47,
RE: The Chilcot inquiry
This 'investigation' has taken far too long. At the moment I am not understanding why and I have to say that I was expecting something of a whitewash and bilge cover up.
Seemingly a Mr Blair will be expected to answer a few awkward questions. Whether a Mr Bush will be put under the spotlight remains to be seen. On what I have seen/heard so far it appears that Mr Blair was something of an over eager assistant to Mr Bush. I am being polite when I say that the whole episode was something of a disaster - someone's head must roll.
7 July 2016, 00:53,
Bet it makes you wish you had not invented Iraq in the first place.
7 July 2016, 13:12,
Blair was interviewed on Radio 4 this morning, he squirmed and said more than once that he took all the blame.

On a plus note, all the cut backs in UK military spending means we could not do the same again
ATB
Harry
7 July 2016, 20:02,
But he will probably get away with it, the sad fact i find that war crimes seem to only be taken from anyone that is not western, if the war criminal is from somewhere like Africa they leave no stone unturned to get them in the Hague, not so if they are from the Uk or the like.
8 July 2016, 08:30,
Lets be honest, Blair and Bush are war criminals, they invaded a country they had no legal right to invade, but neither will be charged.
ATB
Harry
11 July 2016, 23:50,
I take the 10th man doctrine - either that or I am a contrarian.

The Iraq war was both legal and moral and I'm quite prepared to argue the
case but nobody will listen.
12 July 2016, 02:22,
Mr, HP I really hope that one day you have the opportunity to meet a real war criminal in his unrestrained state. If your own policy beliefs are put in place you might just have the opportunity!

I have actually met a couple in my time, seen their deeds and viewed and smelled the results of their handiwork up close and personal.

Neither Bush nor Blair fit the definition.

Just because you do not agree with military/political policy does not make the other person a "war criminal".
12 July 2016, 04:16,
MB, thanks for suscintly stating what I was thinking. I can stop biting my tongue now and enjoy some 12-year old malt whisky now...

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
12 July 2016, 07:13,
MB I saw active service/combat in Iraq and Afghanistan and had the first hand opportunity of meeting people who by any definition were war criminals. Bush and Blair by committing our countries to wars which in effect have destabilised the whole region (for years to come) and caused the death of thousands are war criminals...I'm sorry you don't agree with the logic or rational of the argument but we are all entitled to views and opinions, trust me when I say I'm not on my own in my views; certainly in the UK (and I suspect the USA).

Which malt CH?
ATB
Harry