Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Snowflake Generation
29 August 2016, 20:54,
RE: The Snowflake Generation
I agree that todays teenagers are at least as bright as my generation, they are not learning the same skills, because they don't need to.

For example, as a teenager I was forced to learn how to work on my car because it was an unreliable piece of crap that needed regular servicing. More modern cars are much more reliable and affordable, so teens don't need to spend their weekends fixing them.

Unfortunately they are losing skills that might become useful once again if the global economy crashes.
29 August 2016, 22:08,
Come on folks, when we were growing up no one had a cell phone to whine over, but parents still complained about telephone use and the line always being tied up. They griped about our music, our loud car exhausts, our clothes and in the U.S. they threatened us with slow painful death if we did not get a haircut! My parents always had negative input on every girl I dated and the only one they ever approved of was a multi year reign of terror ending in divorce.

Working on the vehicle??? Do people still do that?

I used to build race cars and restore classics. I did all my own repairs right through engine rebuilds.

Now days I look under the hood, shake my head and pay a highly trained technician $75 dollars US per hour to do my repairs. My next door neighbor paid $800 to have his plugs changed a while back. Aluminum heads requiring a special tool and removal of half the engine accessories to access the plugs. He is a retired mechanic.

An engine problem used to be either airflow, electrics or gas flow. Now it is Computer one, two or three or possibly the gas cap is on wrong!

Todays' young people do not do car repairs because no one can do car repairs!

And the ability to work on your vehicle will be useless if "the global economy crashes". There will be no fuel to put into the vehicle. The only skill you will need is knowing how to pull out the engine so the shell can be made into a goat cart.

Even bushcraft is different. When I was young a one match fire was everyone's goal. Now days you buy a Bic lighter at the grocery counter and it gives you 3000 lights (I checked that with Bic customer service).

Or they go the other way and decide everyone needs a ferro rod. Or the rationale that no one should enter the forest if they can not make fire rubbing two sticks together.

Campfire cooking was a hot dog on a stick or a hobo meal wrapped in foil. Now we want eggs cooked in a sack?

Why use a sack? Why not pop a hole in the shell and cook them in the coals.

Each generation thinks less of the next one coming along. I had many of the same worries about my own children and then suddenly I realized they were grown, raising families, making good decisions and coming to me more often for advice than for "help".

I think Plato had a low opinion of the youth of Greece way back when. So our low opinion of the whiney little brats will be of no consequence, they will survive and go on to worry about their own offspring, even if the world economy crashes. That is why humans are still around. Someone always figures out how to survive and reproduce.
29 August 2016, 23:40,
If you read my post properly you would see that the car was just an example. I'm not suggesting that car repairs will be essential, but that basic practical skills are being lost due to technological improvements.

In a perfect world it wouldn't be a problem, technology would keep on advancing and generations of humans would keep pace with it. In a post-crash world, some of those old skills could be useful - if we can't teach them we should at least make sure they are well documented.
30 August 2016, 06:53,
I did not read your post improperly, I realized it was an example.

So was mine.