Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Someone is learning & practicing how to take down the Internet
30 September 2016, 09:39,
RE: Someone is learning & practicing how to take down the Internet
Not accusing you Talon, my comment is and was solely aimed at the fee dodgers. 50p a day for first class news, excellent programming, one of the worlds most used web sites and superb radio is silly cheap IMHO.
ATB
Harry
1 October 2016, 07:45,
To put the TV thing at rest. LIVE TV, or anything from the BBC iPlayer system, now requires a TV license.

It is legal to stream things online, providing it is not a live UK TV station or available via a UK network, e.g. Sky Atlantic (illegal to stream live). That being said, you can watch 4oD, youtube (even live youtube e.g. lets play), or any of the subscription services. Technically, you could even find a website that streams with a 30 second delay, which also means you are not watching it live. But I think these are being cracked down on too.

As for taking down the internet, I highly doubt it's possible. The servers controlling everything are legion. Having a few computers on a network, then connecting that network to a similar network would be a small version of the internet. So imagine all the billions of connections. The only way to break the internet would be to break every computer connected to the internet. Break Linux, Windows, OS and then you might have a chance. But the older versions might still work, so, for me at least, this is a non-starter with zero risk. Okay, more like a 1 in a hundred million quintillion. Like throwing a grain of sand into the ocean, and 1 year later walking onto any beach on the planet, and picking up on 1 grain of sand, and having that be the same single grain of sand that you threw into the sea a year ago. That's the likelihood of it happening, in my opinion.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
1 October 2016, 12:01,
Most internet traffic (over 90%) travels via fibre optic cables so cut the cables and you cut the internet.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/us-fears-russia...es-1525685

http://www.forbes.com/sites/brucedormine...9320d166b1

So whatever you store in 'the cloud' make sure you have copies at home, movies, books etc.

A slow form of internet can be used by hams, its called Packet Radio for data transmissions and Slow Scan TV for image transmissions...they don't need the net Smile
ATB
Harry