Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russian Threat etc as of 9Oct16
10 October 2016, 11:21,
RE: Russian Threat etc as of 9Oct16
Back to the OP

Mary, I don't think this is the usual sabre rattling. I hope and pray that I am wrong
but it smells a lot like Cuba - I'm old enough to remember that crisis.

Be prepared
10 October 2016, 18:33,
But Putin is not Nikita Kruschev, and Obama is not Kennedy.

Kruschev was removed from office for the Cuban debacle and Putin remembers that too.

Many over here feel that Kennedy's assassination was directly linked to the Cuban crisis.

And many do not realize that the "Crisis" ended in a negotiation of removal of the missiles in return for NATO removing the early warning radar installations from the Turkish/Russian border. Russia did get something in return, it was not the back down it was made out to be in the west.

What is going on now is the old Russian ploy of rattling the sabers in one part of the world to draw attention away from some other part.

I have friends who are pulling tours on the carriers in the Mediterranean and the Persian Gulf and they report that Russian fighters are constantly violating their air space and provoking a response. An "incident" is almost guaranteed at some point in time.

Since Russia has very little real interest in the mid-east such chancy activity can only be to draw attention away from Crimea, which has real relevance for them. The goal being that if they back off in the Mid-east we should drop the embargo over the Crimean matter.

The problem is that things have to come to a crisis point for all of it to work and the back room deals to be arranged.

But never forget that these fighter and bomber jets of Gog and Magog are bombing and strafing within a few short miles of a place called the Valley of Megedo.

We will see how it works out.
10 October 2016, 19:03,
The current Russian activity in the Med was accurately predicted and described in the US Naval Institute Proceedings back in 2013, the source link is:

http://www.usni.org/magazines/proceeding...iterranean

An abstract of the article:

As the U.S. military “rebalances” to the Asia-Pacific theater, the Russian Navy is pivoting back into the same European waters it became very familiar with during the Cold War. Russia apparently is deploying, and intends to continue to deploy, its navy into the vacuum created by the United States’ absence in the Mediterranean Sea. America should respond by adding various ships—an afloat forward-staging base (AFSB) and several littoral combat ships (LCS)—to the guided-missile destroyers (DDGs) we plan to home-port in the European theater in 2014 and 2015.

1 Accepting the realist’s vision of power politics, we are the stage managers of the Russians’ move to the Mediterranean, as our departure from the area triggered their arrival.

Russian President Vladimir Putin, never shy of taking advantage of an opportunity to expand his country’s international influence, became keenly aware of the Mediterranean power vacuum several years ago. He was equally aware that his naval fleet had been emasculated by years of neglect. Naval inventories were a shadow of their former selves, and readiness levels were precariously low. Since then, Russia made sizable improvements to its fleet’s size and readiness and stepped up patrols in the region, roughly coinciding with the escalation of tensions in Syria. During the past calendar year, the Black Sea Fleet alone conducted 17 operational voyages and 39 port visits in the Mediterranean, spending 650 days at sea. 2

In January 2013, Russia conducted its largest naval maneuvers in the Mediterranean since the end of the Cold War. During his visit to the Black Sea Fleet in February, Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu stressed that the “Mediterranean region was the core of all essential dangers to Russia’s national interests” and that continued fallout from the Arab Spring increased the importance of this region. 3 Shortly thereafter, he showcased a new Russian naval policy by announcing the decision to establish a Navy Department task force in the Mediterranean “on a permanent basis.” 4

Related article in Defense News last year:

http://www.defensenews.com/story/defense.../73480280/

A resurgent Russia is creating an "arc of steel" meant to challenge and confront NATO, a top US naval officer warned Tuesday.

"We are observing the manifestation of a more aggressive, more capable Russian Navy," Adm. Mark Ferguson, commander of US Naval Forces Europe and commander of the Allied Joint Force Command in Naples, said in Washington. "It is naval capability focused directly on addressing the perceived advantages of NATO navies. And they are signaling us and warning us that the maritime domain is contested."

Speaking at the Atlantic Council, Ferguson described a revived Russian military that is expanding its capabilities from Cold War days.

"Responsiveness is a new element, as we have seen that Russian actions have fully integrated the elements of speed and strategic surprise," he said, adding that "the language coming from the Russian military reflects the mindset and actions characteristic of direct challenge and confrontation with NATO."

Earlier this year, Ferguson noted, Russia unveiled a new maritime strategy placing "greater emphasis on the seas surrounding Russia, [amid] talks of projection into the Atlantic and the Mediterranean.

"They have talked about establishing a permanent presence in the Mediterranean and in breaking out from their perceived military encirclement by NATO military structures, economic sanctions​ and political isolation."

Ferguson described Russian activity on multiple fronts — ​reactivating Cold War military bases in the Arctic, reviving capabilities in the Baltic, and the recent deployment of ground, air and sea forces to Syria.

"This remilitarization of Russian security policy is evident by the construction of an arc of steel from the Arctic to the Mediterranean," Ferguson said. "Starting in their new Arctic bases, to Leningrad in the Baltic and Crimea in the Black Sea, Russia has introduced advanced air defense, cruise missile systems and new platforms.

"It is also building the capability to project power in the maritime domain. Their base in Syria now gives them the opportunity to do so in the Eastern Mediterranean.

"This is a sea denial strategy focused on NATO maritime forces. Their intent is to have the ability to hold at risk the maritime forces operating in these areas and thus deter NATO operations."

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
10 October 2016, 19:04,
(10 October 2016, 11:21)River Song Wrote: Back to the OP

Mary, I don't think this is the usual sabre rattling. I hope and pray that I am wrong
but it smells a lot like Cuba - I'm old enough to remember that crisis.

Be prepared

RS, this stuff has bveen going on for years in varying degrees. I asked OH (ex military) and he shrugged and said the jets are sent up on intercept just about every day, and it is so common no-one remarks on it. Just at the moment with so much tension around it is media circus stuff. But, we shall see.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
10 October 2016, 21:05,
It would have been more accurate to have said......... American Threat etc as of 9oct16 RS........but the rest i would not disagree with, and it is indeed very serious.
11 October 2016, 10:47,
http://www.presstv.com/Detail/2016/10/11...-Gorbachev
11 October 2016, 14:55, (This post was last modified: 11 October 2016, 14:57 by Barneyboy.)
It can not happen ,it will be M.A.D for all the living things on the planet putin likes having money ,lots of money and homes and living .
He's a lot of things but stupid isn't one of them ,there will be more chances of a dirt bomb in population centre from them fucking isls nut jobs .
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
11 October 2016, 18:16,
SS - well there you go. Do we all take sides?
In some people's eyes, if it's American, it must be wrong.

It could very well be the the same old gangs /Mil/Indust
leading us all into war. I don't blame the US for this - it is clear IMHO
that the fault is Putins.

However, the key is to prepare and get ready
11 October 2016, 19:07,
http://www.presstv.com/Detail/2016/10/11...mes-Petras
11 October 2016, 19:22,
However, the key is to prepare and get ready.......Totally agree with you RS ....when it comes down to it WHO cares WHO is at fault ,even if its half a dozen of one or six of the other, but i can assure everyone everywhere ....ALL the masses will pay for those FEW creating the mess , that on its conclusion will be cleaned up and rebuilt by Normal ordinary folk......like us.

To be clear .....when i say America this does NOT mean The American people......I am talking of the Government/ administration.