Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New shed
10 October 2016, 01:00,
New shed
I am putting up a new shed out back.

10'x10' metal building. Got a kit so all the parts are provided and my trips to the store will be reduced.

Due to the small size and detached nature I do not have to go through codes or planning. I figure most of my "improvements" so that they are one square foot inside the requirement for a permit. This one is quite a bit under the limit.

I have been working on the foundation platform for three days. Everything of that nature is complicated here due to the slope of the ground. Back of the shed will be against the ground, front will be 4' in the air.

Lots of post holes to dig, leveling and squaring, piers to cut, concrete to shovel.

As of right now I am ready to put the decking on and start on the construction of the kit. I anticipate finishing by the end of the week if the rain holds off.
10 October 2016, 14:15,
RE: New shed
Sounds good MB Smile
ATB
Harry
10 October 2016, 17:01,
You going solar in the new 'man cave' ?
ATB
Harry
10 October 2016, 21:24,
I hope it's better quality than the one's sold here MB, put one up about four years back for a friend of mine....load of shit ! if i'm being polite.....the best part of the build will be the platform YOU are now building to sit it on.....tip,,,,,make sure you do not inadvertently fall against ANY of the walls especially on the elevated side.....good luck pal !
26 October 2016, 12:55,
Going solar on the man cave??

Not hardly!

This is a workshop building and solar would not provide more than a few LED lights and irritation.

This shed will have machine tools pulling big power, overhead lighting, heat and AC. I have run one 50 amp circuit to it and I am thinking about another. I am not about to saddle myself with restricted wattage or planning around a inadequate supply. It things go TU I will fire up the generator and keep going.

I am not into the global warming syndrome and all its faulty logic and in my remaining years I do not intend to leave a carbon footprint, I am leaving a carbon highway! Sometimes I even leave the room and fail to turn out the lights!

SS the sheds vary greatly in quality and much depends on how they are assembled. I have done several over the years and I find that much of the stability is in the attachment of the frame of the building to the foundation. Until they are attached securely they feel very much like a beer can with a big door. After tying to the floor they become a bit more solid.

Their real convenience to me is that if you need a building quick you can put one up in a single day with help and in two or three days alone. I was working alone and even with my restrictions due to back surgeries I had it finished win three days.

First day frame, second day walls, third day roof/doors.

It was a whole building in a carton and no single piece weighed more than 5 pounds. The store loaded the carton on my trailer and I removed the pieces as I was able. The most difficult part for my old bones was the climbing onto and off of the foundation platform that was chest high on one corner and required a ladder for access.
26 October 2016, 22:28,
This thing i put up MB was made from angle 25mmx 25mmx 2mm wall thickness.....you could twist it in your hands easy....all held together with stupid little bolts and square nuts that slid into a channel bolts were 20 mm long ... the wall cladding (horizontal) interlocked via a hooked profiling all powder coated roof was the same ....cladding was 1 mm wall thickness but best of all the sliding doors locked together with a Plastic part with a hole in each piece ( to slot a pad lock through ) ....you can't make this stuff up ! .....there again it looked GOOD and CHEAP as CHIPS.....talking to my friend he said "we get a lot of condensation and the plastic snaped" .......but i only keep gardening stuff in it, mower,brush cutter, chain saw and tiller.......he also said NOBODY PINCHES STUFF AROUND HERE !.............Hello !
26 October 2016, 22:44,
Diagonal bracing!

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
27 October 2016, 15:03,
I have one of those thin walled metal sheds on one side of the lot. It houses the garden tools and assorted trinkets. When I moved here it had no door, so I made one.

How long it had been standing before I arrived I do not know, but it has been up for 7 years and will probably stand for 7 more. It has withstood blizzards, monsoon rains, straight line winds of over 70mph and has been brushed by a F3 tornado. It is still standing and does not even leak.

The new building is slightly thicker and much bigger. My only real concern is that due to the 10' span I will need to have braces ready for bearing any heavy snow load.

I do not know of a single shed that is produced with a really heavy locking system until one gets into the $2k-$3k price range. That means it is up to me to provide my own locking devices and for the price difference I can do that effectively for less money. I am also blessed with not much being stolen from my area. I have lost nothing since I moved here.

As I said, this is a workshop building. I am not going to live in it, the saws, sanders and power tools will. I will put spray foam in the cracks and lay a metal floor to protect the wood, build workbenches down two sides and install my free standing equipment on one other side. Shelves will cover the remaining wall.

It might blow away in two weeks, fall in a heap or allow me to go sailing through the metal wall if I lean too hard, but it will be the first one of many I have built or used that has done so.
27 October 2016, 19:30,
A few years ago I had a metal roof on my radio shack and had dripping condensation and ended up lining the roof with old cotton sheets as a temporary measure. Switching from kerosene heating to dry heating (electric or wood burner) stopped the problem and in the end I wood lined the roof and fitted an extraction fan.
ATB
Harry
2 November 2016, 04:59,
Almost finished.

I have it wired and the workbenches installed. 13 feet of bench space and free standing equipment along the opposite wall.

I am going to install a second door eventually for access from the side.

Next move is the metal floor. That will prevent wear down the middle of the shop where all the foot traffic will be.

More equipment will go in tomorrow, including the big rocking chair. Got to have a place to sit and rest once in a while.