Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water Purification Tablets
21 November 2016, 22:45,
RE: Water Purification Tablets
You need to heat water to 60c as a minimum, 70c is better, less than 60c is just a potential breeding pool for bacteria.

Below 4000 feet, just bring water up to a quick boil and the job is done,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouYKeeTz7Yw great film if you get the chance to see it in full, the 'Benghazi cooker' MB mentions is in use.
ATB
Harry
30 November 2016, 14:00,
(14 November 2016, 01:33)LAC Wrote: Tried these recently when I was in a place where the borehole water had made me a bit ill previously (although not the locals as they're used to it).
Not major ill, just nausea and a bit of diarrhea. I didn't use one per 1 litre though, I used 1 per 3-4 litres and no illness, so I guess they work. I know you can boil but didn't have the time or wish to use the enegy boiling.
Anyone else used these?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OASIS-PURIFICAT...B00LJTGIW0

Thanks again for the advice all. I seem to be leaning towards the Berkey filter as my water filtration solution (see link below).

Does anyone have one of these and can provide some feedback as to its quality, customer service of the company etc. They say made in USA but are they really (just my cynicism I suppose) and not some far east sweat shop?

They say you only need to clean the filters once a year, but maybe twice a year might be more advisable if heavily used? What would be the process for cleaning the filters?

Was also thinking of purchasing the lifetime warranty for another £20 is it worth it?

https://berkey-waterfilters.co.uk/collec...ter-system

LAC
30 November 2016, 18:33,
You will find page after page of You-tube reviews of the Berkley. It is almost a generic presence anywhere that the water quality is suspect world wide, even in the civilized parts of the world.

LAC the Berkkey is not something that just popped onto the scene a few weeks back. It traces its existence back to 1827 when it was filtering 99.999% of the baddies from Queen Victoria's drinking glass.

https://www.consciouswater.ca/gravity-water-filter/

The present systems are just the latest in a 200 year progression.

They have been used in missionary stations, hospitals and homes all over the world where water quality is impossible to imagine.

Many of us preppers in the U.S. keep one of the Berkley filter elements on hand for cobbling together an improvised filter system that we know will hit that 99.999% safety mark ad last for 12,000 liters.

As for the warrenty??? Buy it if you wish. All it can possibly cover is a leak in the tank or spout since there is nothing to break down in a gravity filtration system. You pour into the top and take out of the bottom.
30 November 2016, 18:46,
(30 November 2016, 18:33)Mortblanc Wrote: You will find page after page of You-tube reviews of the Berkley. It is almost a generic presence anywhere that the water quality is suspect world wide, even in the civilized parts of the world.

LAC the Berkkey is not something that just popped onto the scene a few weeks back. It traces its existence back to 1827 when it was filtering 99.999% of the baddies from Queen Victoria's drinking glass.

https://www.consciouswater.ca/gravity-water-filter/

The present systems are just the latest in a 200 year progression.

They have been used in missionary stations, hospitals and homes all over the world where water quality is impossible to imagine.

Many of us preppers in the U.S. keep one of the Berkley filter elements on hand for cobbling together an improvised filter system that we know will hit that 99.999% safety mark ad last for 12,000 liters.

As for the warrenty??? Buy it if you wish. All it can possibly cover is a leak in the tank or spout since there is nothing to break down in a gravity filtration system. You pour into the top and take out of the bottom.

Thanks MB. Yes I have youtubed it, but just wanted to hear it from the horse's mouth so to speak.

I'm sure it is still a great company and product, which is a thing that is becoming less common by the day in the modern world.

I will consider the warranty, and I guess the low cost of it is something that goes some way in confirming the confidence the company has in the product. Thanks again for your feedback.

LAC
20 July 2017, 20:27,
UPDATE ON LAST POST

I bought the Big Berkey just after my last post and have been using it extensively to purify bore hole water and so far I've not got sick (touch wood). The water source keeps getting connected and reconnected which leads to high levels of sediment arising for a week or two after reconnection - I removed and cleaned the filters after the first 6 weeks (and every 6 weeks thereafter) and the lower parts were caked in sediment so it's obviously doing it's job well, then cleaned it with the scotch bright pad as advised.

It is indeed an excellent water filter/purifier, but my only gripe is the quite poor quality plastic wing nuts supplied which secure the base of the black water filters to the bottom of the upper metal water chamber - I've had a few slip and the thread has been damaged to the point where it can no longer provide a tight enough seal. Yes I bought spare ones but it concerns me that one of them may break while in use and compromise the seal, and some of the water could then seep through unfiltered. I had an idea to buy some stainless steal wing nuts to replace these but the size of the screw on the base of the black water filter seems a bit odd - I measured it and it seemed it could be 10mm or 3/8 inch - as the Berkey is American made I assumed 3/8 inch but these were too small. I tried 10mm also too small. Anyone else had problems with the plastic wing nuts and were able to determine what size stainless steal replacements would fit the filters?

LAC
20 July 2017, 22:36,
Try contacting the stockist you bought it from. Most stockists carry spares, or can tell you where to get them. Would the parts from a Berkefeld filter fit?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
20 July 2017, 23:26,
(20 July 2017, 22:36)MaryN Wrote: Try contacting the stockist you bought it from. Most stockists carry spares, or can tell you where to get them. Would the parts from a Berkefeld filter fit?

Hi Mary, thanks for your reply. Yes I bought spares from the supplier but these are of course the same plastic ones that come with the filters. Off to B&Q tomorrow methinks with one of the filters to try out a few there.