Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Winter Storm
18 November 2016, 22:22,
First Winter Storm
Our psychotic weather is showing over here this week.

A huge storm came in off the Pacific Ocean up in the northwest and combined with some Arctic air coming down from Canada and struck a huge bank of moist air up from the Gulf of Mexico resulting in a frontal system that extends 2500 miles from the Great Lakes to Mexico with temps of 80f degrees on one side and 40f degrees on the other.

There is also the wind associated with these kinds of temp/pressure differentials so gusts are up to 50 mph as the front passes with thunder, lightening and possible embedded small tornadoes.

As this storm sweeps across its 2000 mile pathway from the Great Plains to the east coast temps are dropping 40 degrees in 90 minutes with sleet and snow trailing the temp shift.

Welcome to a continental climate zone and out first big storm of the winter.
19 November 2016, 15:40,
RE: First Winter Storm
This morning at about 1 am the storm arrived, it was amazing.

For about 30 seconds I heard a strange howling sound like the banshees from hell, then a blast moving about 50mph hit the house hard enough to shake the walls and it was on!

I have no snow, just nasty rain and insane winds. Most of the snow is going just north of me.

Still winter arrived with a howl and a bang and it is official, this year's endless summer is gone.

Yesterday 81f and I was mowing the garden in my tee shirt and seating, today it is 38 and bad to the bone.
20 November 2016, 02:27,
RE: First Winter Storm
We don't get the snow so many parts of the USA get, in winter we often though get temps around freezing point with wind and rain...I'll take the snow anytime. I found 'working' at minus 30c in Norway easier than taking the slam of high winds and freezing rain a lot easier to deal with.
ATB
Harry