Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Howdy from Texas
16 December 2016, 15:10,
Howdy from Texas
Hello...I'm ClovisMan from Texas. I found this forum from our Survival Board in the US. Figured I would mosey on over and see what happening with our UK brothers. I am an Amateur Radio Operator so maybe we could see it an "Across the Pond" Net. Who knows...when the balloon goes up it may be us setting up Comms for Out of Country communications.Thanks for having me.
17 December 2016, 08:27,
RE: Howdy from Texas
Welcome to the forum
Ready for Anything
http://autonopedia.org/
17 December 2016, 08:54,
ClovisMan welcome here as a member and hope so will be a fun way to stay with us and say all.
Its good to see you here as a member and hope so you would love to be with us for a long time.
17 December 2016, 19:44,
Hello and Welcome. Looks like more of our US cousins are finding this board. Just be aware that it has a UK bias which means no sharp objects, our plebs find them frightening. Myself I love em but we on this board seem to be an exception. Lots of ex soldiers here.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
21 December 2016, 15:54,
Aha! Another Texas ham! Welcome!

If at first you don't secede, try, try again!
21 December 2016, 18:27,
Welcome Aboard from Whisky Victor!

There are a few of us on your side of the pond who frequent this forum to escape the tinfoil hat crazies, conspiracy spinners and gun fetishists on the US sites. I like my guns as much as anybody in the US, but the regulars here like to maintain a UK focus and I find the emphasis on frugal living, small plot agriculture, bushcraft and urban situational awareness refreshing.

I have learned much from gleaning their topics, and try to contribute a tidbit or two when the info is of general interest.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
22 December 2016, 07:30,
Welcome aboard.

So far attempts at achieving net contact between UK and USA among SUK members have been unsuccessful although UK to continental Europe backup radio coms are now established.

Hope USA - Europe radio coms can be established in 2017.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

22 December 2016, 17:00,
(22 December 2016, 07:30)Lightspeed Wrote: Welcome aboard.

So far attempts at achieving net contact between UK and USA among SUK members have been unsuccessful although UK to continental Europe backup radio coms are now established.

Hope USA - Europe radio coms can be established in 2017.

Maybe I'll buy one of those 1500w amplifiers and a directional antennae and try to push through the QRM. I think the 8 or so hour time difference also affects us.
22 December 2016, 20:36,
When the 20m band is open, US and CDA East coast usually* comes on stream from around 2pm UK time (08.00h US east coast).

Texas and mid-west come on stream several hours later.

Even at solar minima I'm sometimes able to work USA on 20m at 5-10w power (CW) using only simple antennas.

Over the holidays is a good time to listen for openings to UK as there is usually a lot of Ham activity from Christmas to New Year.

*Usually but not always :-)
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580