Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
when does a preper become a raider
27 June 2012, 10:49,
RE: when does a preper become a raider
Adventurer, explorer & freebooter, or pirate, raider & slaver?? The Vikings in their earlier visits to these shores would either sometimes raid or trade.. "Raid or Trade" - I like that! If not already on a predetermined mission, sometimes they would scout an area and if it looked robustly defended, they might sail up a river to trade with the locals. If it looked poorly defended and unaware of their presence, they might do a lightening river borne raid. It would depend on their perception of the risk/reward. This was definitely not the case with many Viking visitors but it did happen on enough occasions to cause panic & chaos. The intentions of strangers may not easily be apparent and only by a longer term working relationship might their true motivations be seen. Their were also dispossessed princelings and landless sons of high status aristocracy that were forced to leave their homeland to requisition a better life elsewhere. These were often heavily armed professional warbands and they caused absolute devestation in coastal areas. Often they would take over an area completely by fire & the sword.
27 June 2012, 10:56,
(27 June 2012, 10:49)Timelord Wrote: Adventurer, explorer & freebooter, or pirate, raider & slaver?? The Vikings in their earlier visits to these shores would either sometimes raid or trade.. "Raid or Trade" - I like that! If not already on a predetermined mission, sometimes they would scout an area and if it looked robustly defended, they might sail up a river to trade with the locals. If it looked poorly defended and unaware of their presence, they might do a lightening river borne raid. It would depend on their perception of the risk/reward. This was definitely not the case with many Viking visitors but it did happen on enough occasions to cause panic & chaos. The intentions of strangers may not easily be apparent and only by a longer term working relationship might their true motivations be seen. Their were also dispossessed princelings and landless sons of high status aristocracy that were forced to leave their homeland to requisition a better life elsewhere. These were often heavily armed professional warbands and they caused absolute devestation in coastal areas. Often they would take over an area completely by fire & the sword.

right im going to be avoiding the coast then xD

as for raid or trade, that does seem like a good motto xD i like it too Smile...nice bits of history there too, my my this is a great site to learn stuff on!
27 June 2012, 11:46,
most settlements started on the coast and only later did the people move more inland, it was easier to move around by boat than try to get across country, i believe that is what will happen post SHTF.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
27 June 2012, 12:14,
i've been researching collapsible kayaks and the like for precisely this reason, i think a less densely populated island with a low total population will be infinitely preferable to the main land although its hard to settle on a location, im a long way off thats for true Tongue.....but yes i agree i think post-event society will inevitably collapse and relapse into a much more basic form although the degree to which this will happen is nigh on impossible to predict, as is the nature of the event, i spose conjecture and ideas will have to suffice ay?

i think another reason people will go to the coast is probably fishing, whilst the skills of hunting and farming are all but lost to the common man, fishing is far more accessible and widespread to the masses so transport notwithstanding the bounty of food and water is another major reason people will settle coast ways
27 June 2012, 13:22,
thats why i think most people will be heading for the coast to settle, more food available, fishing, rock pooling, foraging that sort of thing. i will be heading the other way, away from people and into the deeper countryside of North Devon.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
27 June 2012, 14:21,
You would thinks so but I suspect most will wait until it is too late to move then destroy everything in their immediate area.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
27 June 2012, 14:25,
which is why we will be moving as soon as it goes pear shaped or soon after!
27 June 2012, 14:40,
(27 June 2012, 14:25)bigpaul Wrote: which is why we will be moving as soon as it goes pear shaped or soon after!

amen to that, if can start travelling to my BOL within a day or 2 of an event then ill be happy, and safe xD.... no point hanging around, although i may get some false starts occasionally xD...and as im planning on looting the shop my mum runs down the road that could be bad xD (im gonna need some spirits and cigarettes! and other luxuries, i think bog roll, cigarettes, alcohol, in that order xD)
27 June 2012, 15:36,
well, our BOL is only 8 miles from where we live now, so normally 20 mins in a car, even if we have to walk it across fields and alongside the river i reckon 24 hours will do it, going slowly and keeping out of sight.
28 June 2012, 13:15,
(27 June 2012, 15:36)bigpaul Wrote: well, our BOL is only 8 miles from where we live now, so normally 20 mins in a car, even if we have to walk it across fields and alongside the river i reckon 24 hours will do it, going slowly and keeping out of sight.

damn your lucky to have some good areas to bug out to so close!...also leaves the possibility of returning to your house to get any supplies you had to leave at a later date!....i hope i can find somewhere that close xD