Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most Important Hat
6 January 2017, 20:29,
RE: Most Important Hat
I didn't say the fit MB
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
6 January 2017, 20:35,
But all seriousness,I do wear a beanie hat some times when it's cold ,my grandad always wore a flat cap ,or a baseball cap he got from a friend off the USA base in Norfolk ,Jackson generals I think
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
6 January 2017, 21:16,
mortblance I too have a tarp hat.what do you use to waterproof yours
7 January 2017, 19:45,
(6 January 2017, 21:16)Stewart Wrote: mortblance I too have a tarp hat.what do you use to waterproof yours

I use a product called Camp Seal which I buy at our universal discount store (Walmart). It is made for sealing tents and such and is found in the camping area.

I have also used a product called Scotch Guard in the past. They make a heavy duty version for outdoor use.

I think you could buy those applications at any good camping gear outlet or shop. They are nice in that one simply sprays them on, waits the drying time and goes on with life. The chance of harming the item treated is about zero, and the Tarp Hats are expensive.

All that stuff also works fantastically on outdoor coats like field jackets and chore coats that have lost their water shedding capabilities.

On some gear I apply special waterproofing formulas and home made blends that work even better than the commercial stuff.

For that I use two different blends of waxes and oils and there are specific processes for their application. I could do a DYI if it is of interest or post a link to another U.S. forum where I have already offered the information.

I use recipes for both old style "tin-cloth" (waxed cotton) and "oil cloth" which is good for tents, awnings and storage bags.

Both formulas are thoroughly tested by myself and members of those forums as well as hundreds of reenactors and have been found efficient by more folks than just me.
8 January 2017, 21:24,
thanks for that. have seen some fabseal in camping shop so will try that
9 January 2017, 20:20,
I started using hats about eight years back , i have about nine now.......based on a (bucket) hat design , to be honest i feel naked with out my hat ....think......pop Larkin ...Darling Buds Of May....try YT ....for those in the USA .....PERFICK ! and yes i am going thin on top.
10 January 2017, 07:44,
We have not busted the freezing mark for 5 days, so I can say my most important cover right now is a $1.98 stocking hat I got from Walmart!
10 January 2017, 17:42,
It was 6° F outside this morning. I really do have to get a good hat or two.
If at first you don't secede, try, try again!
19 March 2017, 19:54,
I wear a "Thinsulate" beany most days, I like it because it's not too tight - doesn't give me a headache.

If it's raining hard I have a leather "Jackaroo" cattlemans hat, it's good, but too snug to wear a beany underneath so not very warm.

If I'm out decoy shooting I wear a green canvas army surplus hat with fur lining and long ear-flaps, it's very warm so ideal if I'm not moving around.
19 March 2017, 20:03,
Going shooting puts me in a bad spot for hat choice most of the time.

If I am hunting it is not bad, I dress for the climate and forget about the rest.

If going to the range I must wear ear protection, and I like my headphones for that. They usually interfere with anything but a bennie or a baseball type hat.

I usually keep a bennie and a ball cap in the vehicle while wearing my better hats generally. If course mst of my "better hats" look as if they had gone through a war, battered, beat up and occasionally run over by someones Jeep.