Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boy Scouts
22 January 2017, 22:56,
RE: Boy Scouts
I wouldn't consider the army cadets. Largely because I know two instructors who punch their cadets. And they don't learn much.
23 January 2017, 11:19,
When I was in the Scouts I carried my own knife, a 6in fixed blade and we did lots of outdoor stuff. They aren't allowed to carry anything and only do the minimum outdoor stuff now. With the advent of CRB, a criminal record check, before you can work with children many people, mainly male, are looked on with suspicion when they want to work with children. The scouts as we knew it has been gone a long time. Hopefully it will be back but not if the political climate is unchanged.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
24 January 2017, 00:53,
(22 January 2017, 22:56)Rocks Wrote: I wouldn't consider the army cadets. Largely because I know two instructors who punch their cadets. And they don't learn much.

That's disgraceful, never had anything like that when I went thankfully.
24 January 2017, 02:58,
Here in the States Boy Scouts and Venturing (formerly Explorer) crews are encouraged to take the FEMA Community Emergency Response Team training, usually taught by local fire departments or offices of emergency management. They take the same classes and participate in the same live exercises at the fire academy as the adults do. Interested parents and adult group leaders may also enroll and are encouraged to do do. CERT teams are organized in neighborhoods as well as military housing commnities, state, local and federal government worksites, and large civilian employers who serve the military or federal government.

For those interested the Medical Reserve Corps, Auxiliary Communications Service and Neighborhood Watch training conducted by Public Health Service, Public Safety Communications Unit and Police Department Crime Prevention Unit are also encouraged. As long as the scouts keep up with their annual refresher training and required exercises, after they reach age 18 and register for Selective Service they may attend additional courses taught at the FEMA Emergency Management Institute, the National Association for Search & Rescue or University Extensions, which can lead to issuance of a Federal Responder Authentication Credential, enabling them to enroll as Emergency Management Reservists in their state of residence, and qualifying them for regional deployments to aid in response to natural disasters under the Emergency Management Assistance Compact.

Of course all of that is great resume' building material for young people when they apply for college or if they plan to go into Emergency Management, the Fire Service or join the National Guard or a reserve military component. It teaches self reliance and leadership as well as practical knowledge and skills. It works well when incorporated into a scouting program.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA