Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electric/hybrid vehicles
14 February 2017, 05:11,
RE: Electric/hybrid vehicles
Recently visited Toyota dealership and they had a small 1/2 ton gas-electric hybrid pickup, but a Ford F150 is $10k less than the hybrid rice truck.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
14 February 2017, 09:36,
At the price of gas right now the $10k price difference would buy fuel for the first 110k miles you put on that F150!
14 February 2017, 10:19,
I don't know th numbers but for a shortish grid down situation, maybe electric powered vehicles could pull charge from PV arrays.... this could keep their owners moving if conventional liquid fuels were unavailable. ( Not pumpable due to no electricity for example)

I say shortish as the battery banks on these cars are consumable items with a certain life-span, so not good as a long term solution. I think that Mary's horses win-out on that front:-)
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

14 February 2017, 17:26,
And their advantage is that in REALLY bad times you can always eat the horse!

73 de KE4SKY
In
USA
14 February 2017, 17:37,
Don't know if you get Auto Week over there, but here is an interesting article on hybrid pickups:

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/aft...id-pickups

Long after a much-ballyhooed Toyota-Ford hybrid pickup partnership unraveled, the ill will lingers.

Toyota Motor Corp.'s powertrain chief says Ford Motor Co. didn't exactly steal Toyota's hallmark technology. But he insists his counterparts in Dearborn, Mich., milked the exchange for all they could before abruptly ending talks with Toyota's blueprints in hand. Now the race is on between two champions: one in hybrids, the other in pickups.

Toyota thinks hybrid pickups will be needed soon, and its engineers are busy working on them. Ford, meanwhile, plans its own hybrid pickup by 2020. The outcome could shape industry strategies in one of the hottest, most profitable vehicle segments and help determine how both companies meet increasingly stringent emissions regulations.

"This is a very competitive segment, and if one OEM receives a boost in sales with such an offering, the rest will surely soon follow," said Devin Lindsay, principal analyst at IHS Automotive. He said hybrid pickups could arrive as soon as 2017.

When Toyota and Ford unveiled plans for a hybrid pickup tie-up in 2011, it seemed like a perfect dovetailing of their strengths. Ford sells the nation's best-selling large pickup: the F series. Toyota sells the world's best-selling hybrid: the Prius, with sales of more than 3.5 million worldwide since its 1997 introduction.

But two years later, Ford dumped the project, opting to go solo. To hear Toyota's side of the story, it didn't end amicably...

Related:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1085...fter-study

http://www.tfltruck.com/2016/07/toyota-h...e-arrived/

73 de KE4SKY
In
USA
14 February 2017, 19:29,
(14 February 2017, 17:26)CharlesHarris Wrote: And their advantage is that in REALLY bad times you can always eat the horse!

Wash your mouth out!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
14 February 2017, 19:52,
If the thought of having eaten Romanian cart horses in mislabeled frozen lasagne is making Britons choke, a loyal minority in France laments a dwindling appetite for a meat they say is a tastier and healthier alternative to beef...

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-france...RX20130212

...France's taste for horsemeat dates back to when 18th Century revolutionaries seized the fallen aristocracy's horses to sate their hunger. It flourished for two centuries until falling out of fashion with a more squeamish younger generation...

Overruling a 732 Papal ban, France legalized the eating of horsemeat in 1866 when poor families struggled to afford pork and beef. Many more were forced to eat it when the 1870-71 Prussian Siege of Paris caused severe meat shortages...
they say it tastes better and is more tender...

"I never buy beef. I prefer horse meat, it tastes better and it's cheaper," said Catherine Clerc, 42, who claims to have converted friends after cooking them horse roasts at home. She buys horse meat weekly from a local market and likes it best as raw tartare, but otherwise serves it rare with potatoes, garlic and salad. "I like it really bloody," she whispered...

A 37-year-old karate expert queuing behind Marin at the horse butcher, which sports two neon horse heads above its door, said he finds horse meat lighter to digest.

"I'm very sporty. Beef sits heavy on my stomach. Horse meat is less fatty, it goes down better," he said.

He is dreading the day this butcher's shop closes, he said.

Butcher Jocelyne Lamire, 63, says her daughters have office jobs and she supposes her shop will end up as a takeaway food joint or clothing outlet like the nine other butchers that have closed in her street in the past few years.

"My clientele is getting older and it's not being renewed," she said, as an assistant hacked at chunks of horse flesh with a cleaver. "People nowadays don't shop at traditional butchers. They spend their money on takeaway junk that is not nutritious."

- - - - - - -

AND I can testify from personal experience in travelling abroad that it is MUCH better than dog, monkey or donkey

73 de KE4SKY
In
USA
15 February 2017, 12:43,
Yes, thank you, I am quite aware of the horse-eating predilections of the French. I lived there for over 8 years. Lovely country. Horsemeat eating now is thankfully becoming rather "uncool". The Belgians still seem to have the taste for it, but then, they are Belgians. Enough said.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
15 February 2017, 15:24,
I would eat and do eat pretty much everything,but I think I would draw the line at horses,and donkeys
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
15 February 2017, 16:51,
As my Vietnamese neighbor would say, "young dog, old cat..."

73 de KE4SKY
In
USA