Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi-Tech or Low Tech
15 February 2017, 18:14,
RE: Hi-Tech or Low Tech
What you are describing are personal problems, not technological problems.

And the only people that believe that "hard work never hurt anyone" are those that have not spent years crippled with pain caused by a single incident of hard work gone bad. Hard work kills people every day, even the ones sitting at a desk.
19 February 2017, 05:32,
I love technology, we should all embrace it, use it, play with it...just make sure your 'low tech' skills are there in case they are needed. I loved the fact that last month in New Zealand I could sit in my rented campervan in a pretty remote camp site and have a video chat with a friend in Scotland Smile
ATB
Harry
10 March 2017, 18:28,
nobody ever heard of keeping it simple? the more one relies on technology the more they will be stuffed when the technology dosent function in an emergency.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 March 2017, 06:14,
yet here you are on the computer when you have a perfectly good pencil stub at your desk, a car in the driveway when you could walk and you visit the grocer when you could plant a garden.
11 March 2017, 10:39,
use something whilst it is available to get to a place where one can live without it, the ones that rely on technology to the exclusion of all else will be the first to go post event.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
11 March 2017, 17:58,
I very much agree BP you would be a complete idiot Not too use any technology to the full ...as long as its available....but an even bigger foolish idiot not to learn the old ways to sustain you and yours when it go's tits up...... isn't that WHY we are all HERE ? .
11 March 2017, 18:03,
(11 March 2017, 17:58)Straight Shooter Wrote: I very much agree BP you would be a complete idiot Not too use any technology to the full ...as long as its available....but an even bigger foolish idiot not to learn the old ways to sustain you and yours when it go's tits up...... isn't that WHY we are all HERE ? .
yes SS, use it while its still available to OUR advantage, but as soon as it dosent function post SHTF chuck it away, and move on.
I always say: keep it simple, no point in having power tools when there is no power and not likely to be any for a long time, maybe forever.
12 March 2017, 09:24,
Or you could keep your power tools in use with a good solar panel, a battery and an inverter.

I lived off grid for years and kept the power tools operating.

You will be long dead before "forever" arrives.
12 March 2017, 12:50,
(12 March 2017, 09:24)Mortblanc Wrote: Or you could keep your power tools in use with a good solar panel, a battery and an inverter.

I lived off grid for years and kept the power tools operating.

You will be long dead before "forever" arrives.

and I lived quite happily for years off grid without power of any kind, living simply and quietly. I do not understand this fixation with having electricity, its a modern invention less than 100 years old, humans lived without it for thousands of years before it came along, and will again when it is long gone and forgotten.
12 March 2017, 14:39,
Okay i confess ..........i have just bought a small solar panel to have a play with ...enough for coms ....but at least an introduction to the power ....looks simple enough .

I was going to go for a full system mounted on the roof the price was very good ....but many on here store the panels and do not broadcast they have them (in full view on a roof ) ...i now hold the same view....but before i buy more i will have a play with this small set up plus it will be a more portable part of my prepps along with all my hand tools.