Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What was your "prep," for today?
17 December 2016, 15:08,
What was your "prep," for today?
For me, it was getting in my LDB 4:1 unun balun which will allow me to make random wire HF antennas on the fly.....Great little unit, very easy to use as long as one knows basic antenna theory and some 14-16ga wire...

I plan to use this to connect my alinco hf rig, to my neighbors aluminum gutter system, turning it into an antenna...

http://www.qsl.net/wb3gck/spout.htm

see, where we live is in a suburban setting, larger planned community with an HOA or management firms and we have rules, one of them is no big permanent antennas, except for satellite or digital tv.....

in my quest to learn and get on air, i did some research into covert/stealth antennas, and found many examples of folks doing this to great effect.

I will drill hole into downspout, remove paint to bare metal, then attach a screw and approx 12" of 16ga, stranded, shielded wire to the antenna terminal of the balun, then run 20' of rg-58x from the so-239 connector to my ldg auto tuner, then a jumper to my hf rig and see what happens...The tuner will protect my rig as well...

Part of being an amateur radio operator is experimenting and learning, tinkering with various set ups and this one has been on my mind for some time.

the gutter layout is in inverted U, with two vertical sections, 20' connected to a horizontal run of approx 50', so i figure it will have more nvis properties....

I will update as i progress...

So, what have you done today/this week to prepare?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

17 December 2016, 18:19,
RE: What was your "prep," for today?
Drainpipe antennas are popular with some UK hams, especially hams whose wife won't allow a Yagi in the garden. I sold one property not long ago so my antenna/went and I'm using a G5RV and a temp measure and this property will be on the market when I get back from NZ. I'm taking a Yaesu FT-817ND with me to NZ for QRP CW.
ATB
Harry
17 December 2016, 19:35,
A guy a couple of doors away had a big antenna that you could see from streets away. When the house was sold the new people removed the wiring but left the pole. I intend to hijack it after an event. In the meantime I'm looking at installing a stealth antenna myself.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
17 December 2016, 19:57,
(17 December 2016, 18:19)harrypalmer Wrote: Drainpipe antennas are popular with some UK hams, especially hams whose wife won't allow a Yagi in the garden. I sold one property not long ago so my antenna/went and I'm using a G5RV and a temp measure and this property will be on the market when I get back from NZ. I'm taking a Yaesu FT-817ND with me to NZ for QRP CW.

817's are nice rigs, prolly one of the best all around emcomm units out there...

gv5rs are classic antennas too....do you use a tuner with it?

I am fond of end feds too, and this little guy, amazing unit 2-40m
http://www.hamradiofun.com/yoyodeluxe.html
17 December 2016, 20:04,
(17 December 2016, 19:35)Skean Dhude Wrote: A guy a couple of doors away had a big antenna that you could see from streets away. When the house was sold the new people removed the wiring but left the pole. I intend to hijack it after an event. In the meantime I'm looking at installing a stealth antenna myself.

A little 550, some wire, feedline and shazam, comms....

because of my home location, stealth is the way to go for me, has caused me to be very creative...

i am fortunate in that we have a good sized attic, access hatch in my home office, so i can run feedline down into shack, and mount various antennas in attic using wooden dowels, and flag pole kits...

I have two fixed, the arrow 2/70cm j -pole, great antenna and a discone for back up and my SDR/Uniden HPII scanner antenna....

i did run an end fed hf, but found performance to be poor, so that goes outside now on tilt up pole when i need to fire up hf rig..

also, i am not concerned about DX, just local/regional, so NVIS is what i run...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

18 December 2016, 05:14,
I found myself wandering the aisles of Cabela's where I found myself staring at the Ken Onion Work Sharp Knife and Tool Sharpener. Needless to say it came home with me. Knowing how to hand sharpen is great and all, but right now I have electricity and it sure makes it easy!
18 December 2016, 20:50,
Love cabelas, have one down the road from us in ft mill sc....