Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Essential Bushcraft Skills
1 March 2012, 10:09, (This post was last modified: 1 March 2012, 10:11 by Scythe13.)
RE: Essential Bushcraft Skills
(1 March 2012, 10:02)NorthernRaider Wrote: And one of em cant remember which was caught out staying in a 4 star hotel when he was supposed to be roughing it.

That was Bear Grylls in the hotel.

If you watch a lot of his programs, especially where he's climbing, a random safety rope will appear for a split second. The same as when he is movin along the wires, there are magical carabinas and harnesses that appear. It's mystical. But still great because it gets people outdoors and drinking water from elephant poo.

(1 March 2012, 10:08)Barneyboy Wrote: get your self a good airgun mate shot your self some meat palSmile

I've got a 'Rat Catcher' with a pretty 4x28 (might be 24) scope. But I'm upping that to 4x32 in summer.

I'm going to be getting a better rifle though. Only problem is decisions. Do I go for archery first, or should I get the rifle first? I'll end up with both soon though.
Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism - Thomas Jefferson
Those who sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither - Benjamin Franklin
2 March 2012, 00:04,
loved les he was right down to earth

b/d
2 March 2012, 09:50,
(2 March 2012, 00:04)bowdrill Wrote: loved les he was right down to earth

b/d

He is living up north on an island off the coast of queensland with a load of aussie veterans, I bet they get no shit off anyone.

3 March 2012, 21:38,
lol i bet' got to admit thats the way to go he was so laid back and comfortable in the bush like he was sitting in his living room with his slippers on he's got to be knocking on now ? about time they repeated the series now instead of half the crap thats on now
b/d
3 March 2012, 21:46,
I think he is only in his sixties.

27 June 2012, 13:05,
(1 March 2012, 09:29)NorthernRaider Wrote: I prefer the old instructors like Eddie Mcgee, Lofty Wiseman etc to Mears and Grills, but I'm old and biased.

awh man lofty wiseman! the king of chatting up a bird with a bloody big knife xD...ill never forget that lolo
22 October 2012, 20:03,
im new on here but not to skills , so here s my two pennies worth , learn learn and learn again, take one thing at a time and practice it until it is second nature ,

regards

nenook
when being chased by a hungry lion , you don't have to be the fastest runner, you just have to run faster than the bloke next to you !Smile
19 December 2012, 21:36,
The thing with bushcraft skills is that they are all linked, if you want to concentrate on food and water supplies you have to know where to find them. That means basic navigation becomes essential, hygiene in the field or you are going to be ill and basic field first aid. Finding wild food and water can mean travelling from your base for more than a day. Especially once you are in a prolonged survival period. Look at native tribes in any undeveloped country and you see foragers and hunters leaving their villages for expeditions to locate supplies. No matter how good a house or base you have eventually you are going to have to either move to a new location/widen your gathering areas. As such skills like tracking, firelighting and camping/shelter building also become essential. Whislt I agree that surviving in the wild in winter is not something you would seek, staying alive through a hunting trip in November will require skill and knowledge. I hope to develop my bushcraft to a point where a winters hunting trip doesn't killl me.
An old scout is full of rescource, that is he can find a way out of any difficulty or discomfort. (Lord Robert Baden Powell)
31 December 2012, 07:45,
I believe our earliest ancestors where nomadic so we would have to follow that route if living wild was becomes permanent. Unless we get farming and animal husbandry nailed down early on.