Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the Internet Dead or just Dying?
20 January 2012, 14:02,
RE: Is the Internet Dead or just Dying?
One step at a time but your intent is sound. Most fail on the meetings pretty quickly.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
20 January 2012, 14:33,
The Pub Meeting will be the hardest part.

But the good thing is, it allows us to assess our strengths and weeknesses.

One of the major reasons, I believe, that meets fall appart, is because there is no direction that people have to work towards. If we can work out a direction, and set goals and targets, we will be able to work together and move in the same direction. That is really what we should eventually hope to achieve.

An interesting point we be having to work with different forums, because some places look badly on other forums. I'm not against ANY forum. And I really do mean ANY. I wish everyone well and hope for the best.

But one step at a time is right. We just need to make sure we are all walking in the same direction.
20 January 2012, 16:24,
Getting along sounds easy enough and doing all the things Scythe mentions should just happen?...Right?

Not always so!. My past experience of meeting others of a like mind is that Preppers are a secretive bunch, we don't like to give much away when it feels like we're on the verge of blowing our OPSEC.

I've been in Bristol for over twenty years and in that time I have planted a lot of wild herbs, fruit trees and other edible plants all over the outskirts of this fair city, I've also hidden many caches along possible bug out routes and in several possible BOL's.

What I'm trying to say is I'm all for the meets and I know how important they are, but be prepared to meet some resistance when it comes to sharing everything we know.
This doesn't mean I'm not willing to share ideas and go for the occasional camp trip but OPSEC makes us (well me anyway) a suspicious bunch and these barriers may take time to come down.

But the Bristol meet is a start, a move in a positive direction. a lone wolf is no good against a large pack of dogs, so we will need to pull together if we are to survive for a long period of time post SHTF. Besides I've been whittling myself a royal throne for sometime now and the sooner I establish Jonesville the better!
There's no Justice, There's Just Us.

20 January 2012, 16:35, (This post was last modified: 20 January 2012, 16:41 by Scythe13.)
(20 January 2012, 16:24)Reality Jones Wrote: Getting along sounds easy enough and doing all the things Scythe mentions should just happen?...Right?

Not always so!. My past experience of meeting others of a like mind is that Preppers are a secretive bunch, we don't like to give much away when it feels like we're on the verge of blowing our OPSEC.

I've been in Bristol for over twenty years and in that time I have planted a lot of wild herbs, fruit trees and other edible plants all over the outskirts of this fair city, I've also hidden many caches along possible bug out routes and in several possible BOL's.

What I'm trying to say is I'm all for the meets and I know how important they are, but be prepared to meet some resistance when it comes to sharing everything we know.
This doesn't mean I'm not willing to share ideas and go for the occasional camp trip but OPSEC makes us (well me anyway) a suspicious bunch and these barriers may take time to come down.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I hope to steer people away from talking about where Cache's are. If you want to share with one member of another, that's cool go for it. But things like that are not important (or even useful) to the group, until AFTER a SHTF scenario. So I want to lay down some basic rules before we chat, such as 'no need to discuss.....' items. No need to discuss BO's, caches, and things like that.

Ideally we will just support each other like the forum does, but in person. Other things, like learning skills together on camping trips and that kind of thing. That will be encouraged. But when it comes to things like "I'm building a nuclear shelter......" There are only so many people I will feel comfortable sharing that information with.

One thing I was thinking was for people to map where their caches are, but to keep them at their home in a locked file/draw, or hidden in a book on the shelf. The reason being, say I died in a SHTF scenario. I'd want the team to look after my family, but also to benefit themselves and my family through the work I've put in. There is no point me dying, and all the caches etc to be lost when I pass away. Especially if they can save people lives.
Meant to say "No need to discuss BOL's..."
Sorry if the last part of that sounds morbid, but it's true.

By not telling people where my caches are, they are forced to come to my home to find the details of where I put them. In doing so, it means they will also be checking on my family. From there, I can but hope and have faith in the other people in the prepper community.

Say the situation is different and someone gets injured. If they are stabilised, but unable to reach their family, maybe they got hit on the head and have amnesia. It is then up to the 'Bristol Batallion' to go and get that persons family and extract them from the danger area and bring them to safety. If those family members are not prepared, the cache location guarantees they will be kept safely and they are provided for.
23 January 2012, 10:55,
The internet is a fragile beast. What goes into your home is a pair of wires - originally for ringing your bell and speech. Now you can use those two wires for speech and interactive putering at the same time. To the modern generation this may not seem much but the amount of background technology (the bits you cannot see) is very great, man made and prone to go up the spout at any time for no reason at all! To say that the internet was down all over the country I find hard to believe - maybe just a large area was in trouble for a short while.
What would we do without hard line communications (and the internet)? That's a good discussion.
What would we do without mobile phones (and the internet)? That's another good discussion.
It's all about communications of one sort or another. What did we do before all this was available?
25 January 2012, 09:44,
WOOOO!!!!!

Looks like another system screw up over here.

I just realised, incase something happens before the Bristol pub meet, I should probably say what I'll be doing and where I'll be going.

I'll make that into another thread though.