Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finland Jama Bushcraft Blanket Shirt
22 June 2017, 18:11,
RE: Finland Jama Bushcraft Blanket Shirt
I prefer wool, merino, as my base wicking layer. Synthetic zipped fleece on top of that, then rain shell if needed. I don't recognise the problems with breaking zips, but I tend to avoid asian stuff as the quality is too haphazard.

In the UK a wool outer layer doesn't make too much sense a lot of the time, as it is often raining, so the "natural textile" rules of the boreal forest do not apply I think.

I'm thinking of changing to a (2-layer) merino wicking layer and a double gortex coat rather than the above 3-layer system and might try it on a mountain climb I'm doing next week. However, if anyone has experience of wearing wool outer layers, like the shirts mentioned above, when out and about then I'd be interested in hearing your experiences and recommendations.
22 June 2017, 20:06,
(22 June 2017, 18:11)sethorly Wrote: I prefer wool, merino, as my base wicking layer. Synthetic zipped fleece on top of that, then rain shell if needed. I don't recognise the problems with breaking zips, but I tend to avoid asian stuff as the quality is too haphazard.

In the UK a wool outer layer doesn't make too much sense a lot of the time, as it is often raining, so the "natural textile" rules of the boreal forest do not apply I think.

...r However, if anyone has experience of wearing wool outer layers, like the shirts mentioned above, when out and about then I'd be interested in hearing your experiences and recommendations.

The close woven wool outer is perfect for dry cold and powder snow.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
22 June 2017, 22:34,
"The close woven wool outer is perfect for dry cold and powder snow" which we don't get in the UK.

If you want a 'natural' material outer then look at Ventile, its expensive but windproof and will keep some rain out, beware though, when it does get wet it will leak, go as stiff as cardboard and is a bitch to dry.
ATB
Harry
23 June 2017, 16:55,
Thanks guys. That's the trouble, us Brits need anti-rain layers.
23 June 2017, 17:51,
If you fellows will look at a climate and rainfall chart you will realize that we Americans in the region where CH and myself live get the same annual rainfall that you do in England. In fact, the entire eastern half of our nation gets the same rainfall total that you do!

Your weather is not more miserable than ours, you just b!%&h about it more than we do.

The benefit of wool as a natural outer layer is that wool retains most of its insulation properties even when wet and if the natural lanolin has not been chemically removed the wool will shed water very well.

And no matter what modern layers you wear eventually you are going to be soaked to the bone if you are forced to be out for a long period. If your synthetic layers have no insulation value when wet you are done for.
23 June 2017, 19:24,
Wool does not retain most of insulation properties when wet MB, go do some homework. Wet fleece insulates better than wet wook.
ATB
Harry
23 June 2017, 21:59,
Well, I looked it up, just like I did years ago, and oddly the properties of wool have not changed since that time.

Wool has been the "go to" natural cold weather fabric for 20,000 years.

http://www.woolrevolution.com/virtues.html
24 June 2017, 11:35,
HP, when you move to NZ how are the locals likely to interpret your preference for fleece products made from petroleum which is a threat to the world environment and depletes the ozone layer?

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
24 June 2017, 12:44,
Fleece is a very common material with the outdoor community over there so I'll have no problems.
ATB
Harry
24 June 2017, 17:14,
HP is not moving to NZ!

I did the homework, they have standards.