Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finland Jama Bushcraft Blanket Shirt
24 June 2017, 17:27,
RE: Finland Jama Bushcraft Blanket Shirt
MB were you an only child ? ......just asking.
24 June 2017, 18:02,
Nope, oldest of 4, but endowed with a very sensitive Bull S&!T meter that was honed to perpetual accuracy by 35 years in the educational system dealing with students, parents, teachers, administrators and government agencies.

Once you leave the government sponsored websites you find that NZ is not the advertised paradise it is held up to be unless you go with unlimited funds.

NZ dollar is worth half the Pound so average income in NZ is actually only 25k pounds. Zero hour contracts are illegal, but the norm for immigrants in any field in violation of NZ laws but totally unenforced.

You should dig into some of the stories of people that went to NZ to find exploitation and failure to enforce the labor laws of the host nation, promotions restricted to NZ citizens, maintaining the pay scale just below the limit for residency, and failure to extend the 2 year work visa even with a secure job.

Most of their immigrant population, from every nation, is of the community we refer to in the US as "snowflakes". Folks looking for a "safe place" in a fairy tale world to pursue their idealistic lifestyle where reality is suspended. Only it is not suspended, it is simply different and located on an island far from anywhere else in the world and very expensive to get away from once the cash dries up.

However, NZ does have an "Investment Visa"! It is right there on their website. If you have enough money you can buy a visa and residency.
24 June 2017, 18:46,
Well it appears that Harry has a idealistic lifestyle here in the UK and not a fairy tail existence either ....he owns two property's and he's only forty years old......he must have had a very full filling life thus far...and ex military ....how he's managed to cram it all in ,is a shinning example to us all.....But.....life grinds off any protruding edges of anyone that draws a breath ....as you point out MB the older you get the more polish you can apply ....to those ground down to the bone bits.....as for me.....i presume a lot....but Know very little, i find telling jokes helps hide my many short comings.....i even get away with it ....from time to time.
25 June 2017, 07:29,
(24 June 2017, 18:02)Mortblanc Wrote: Folks looking for a "safe place" in a fairy tale world to pursue their idealistic lifestyle where reality is suspended.

That'll be the homesteading community you're talking about? ;P

I used to live near Christchurch, South Island, NZ when I was a youngster. It's wonderful but tarnished just like most other places. The flora and fauna is amazing as is anything historical/cultural (Maori). I can see why young Kiwis (and Australians for that matter) want to move to the Northern hemisphere though.
25 June 2017, 13:11,
SS, you are right two houses, one the wife and I bough with a mortgage which was paid off when she died, the second house we paid cash for from a very healthy inheritance we had before she died. The second house is large and detached with land, our plan had been to run it as a bed and breakfast...its now on the market. I'll arrive in NZ financially comfortable.
ATB
Harry
25 June 2017, 16:48,
"Most of their immigrant population, from every nation, is of the community we refer to in the US as "snowflakes". Folks looking for a "safe place" in a fairy tale world to pursue their idealistic lifestyle where reality is suspended. Only it is not suspended, it is simply different and located on an island far from anywhere else in the world and very expensive to get away from once the cash dries up."

Sounds very much what your founding fathers did MB. Running away to escape the taxing slave driver British!

I don't think you can assume that every immigrant there (or anywhere for that matter) looking for a better life is a snowflake - some are yes - but many do their homework and think long and hard before making any final decisions. Different places have different pro's and con's (trade off's) and ideally one would be best placed by having homes in a handful of countries which all carry unique benefits, and act as a hedge against one another in the event of things taking a turn for the worse in one - be that political/economic/environmental. And, I'm sure many US citizens flee to different states if the political control changes, and they don't feel happy about it.
25 June 2017, 22:01,
My apologies Harry.
26 June 2017, 21:00,
No need to apologise SS, our life was sweet until she passed, I've now had time to refocus on what I want; I do want children (as we both did) and I want space, NZ will give me space and hopefully children.

I've an old army pal who's been down there for five or six years, he married a wonderful NZ lass and has two children. He works as a 'sparks' but they have a small holding and he won't come on bushcraft or prepper sites...he just gets on with things and thats the way I'll be when I leave the UK.
ATB
Harry
27 June 2017, 11:11,
I can't fault your attitude Harry ...and wish you well with your endeavours, good health is required (for a small holding ) hard work ...there will be plenty BUT lots of payback and pleasure in my eyes a self sustaining lifestyle is the best way ...btw your mate does not need any forums ....he lives it....and as soon as i get sorted health wise ...so will i ...light duties piss me off.....but at least i can share all with my wife and so should you Harry....hold on Harry ! .....i think i can hear MB vomiting in the background......okay he's stopped know.
2 July 2017, 18:31,
Just went up pen-y-ghent to trial a merino wool wicking layer + gortex combo, rather than my usual merino + fleece + rain shell combo. I really liked it!

With the fleece combo, you can't always wear the fleece and it's bulky to carry. With the gortex on the other hand, it could be worn all the time as it kept me cool in the sun as well as warm when the wind chill crept up.

Interesting! I'll have to field trial the gortex combo during snowfall in winter.