Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Refreshing change on a really hot day
24 June 2017, 19:13,
RE: Refreshing change on a really hot day
In the interests of UK / USA relations ....i have to confess to just eating steak baked in a chasseur source ...accompanied with garden peas ,carrots and ten pounds of mashed potatoes and one stick of crunchy celery for desert yum.
25 June 2017, 07:35,
Here's my question about US food. How come you don't have bacon in your bacon? In the UK we have actual bacon meat in our rashers. In the US, whether it's Orlando or Seattle, I've only ever found rashers that are mostly fat. Perhaps it's because I've only been in the cheaper restaurants? But my observation includes all the supermarket bacon I've bought there too.

You can get a little idea of what I'm on about by googling "bacon in the uk" vs "bacon in the usa".
25 June 2017, 10:39,
Easy Sethorly....it is compulsory for all who live in the USA must weigh six cwt by the time they reach six years of age , plus the fact the piggies are fed even more fatty crap to begin with....its a good job they have health care that takes half their pay cheque .....this pole shift stuff you read about.......yep...its them .....but seriously .....total lack of sophistication would do it ....Yanks eat ANYTHING mostly with twenty different relishes that contain cream,chillies,salt, and spices which most all are derived from GM crops....all is well in the land of the free and the brave.
25 June 2017, 12:47,
"Most of their immigrant population, from every nation, is of the community we refer to in the US as "snowflakes". Folks looking for a "safe place" in a fairy tale world to pursue their idealistic lifestyle where reality is suspended. Only it is not suspended, it is simply different and located on an island far from anywhere else in the world and very expensive to get away from once the cash dries up."

Sounds very much what your founding fathers did MB. Running away to escape the taxing slave driver British!
I don't think you can assume that every immigrant there (or anywhere for that matter) looking for a better life is a snowflake - some are yes - but many do their homework and think long and hard before making any final decisions. Different places have different pro's and con's (trade off's) and ideally one would be best placed by having homes in a handful of countries which all carry unique benefits, and act as a hedge against one another in the event of things taking a turn for the worse in one - be that political/economic/environmental. And, I'm sure many US citizens flee to different states if the political control changes, and they don't feel happy about it.
25 June 2017, 18:28,
Where did that one come from?

You going to cut and past the paragraph to every post on the forum?

I can roughly explain the variations in the bacon terminology, and point to the statistics showing people in the UK are generally as obese as those in the US, but I am at a loss to explain away the historical myths involving early US history as taught in the British school system.
25 June 2017, 20:33,
What myths would those be?
ATB
Harry
25 June 2017, 20:57,
The call of no taxation without representation is a myth is it? Mass immigration by Irish, Dutch, Scotish, Italian, Jewish and the English and others, all searching for a better life in the new world is a myth is it?
Apologies for the double post I replied on the wrong thread.
25 June 2017, 21:59,
And a lot of WELSH too including my grandfather who headed up into Canada ...only to find things we just as bad as in the UK in the thirties ...returned home to Wales eighteen months later.....i think it was the streaky bacon really though.
25 June 2017, 22:55,
Oh yes and the Welsh of course, didn't mean to leave them out.
Again, like I said it's trade off's - America, great steaks, horrid bacon.
26 June 2017, 00:29,
"Canadian bacon' is what we brits would call 'back bacon', its from pig loin.
ATB
Harry