Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Refreshing change on a really hot day
26 June 2017, 11:38,
RE: Refreshing change on a really hot day
Yes Harry ....that's why he high tailed it to Canada from the US ...he was told Canadians were much more a proper bacon friendly nation....but that bacon reminded him of the Welsh rolling hills and the ultimate bacon sarnie .....he did'nt stand a chance ...on his return he bought a small holding ....one milking cow ,chickens,ducks,and yes some bacon pigs .....sheep came later but only six ....his proper job was a carpenter /joiner ....and a true master of the trade.
28 June 2017, 21:46,
Nowt wrong with Wales SS, I've spent many happy trips walking and climbing in Snowdonia, and of course the Brecon Beacons Smile The wife and I looked at a few Welsh properties for our B&B project but ended up staying in the Midlands.
ATB
Harry
29 June 2017, 01:30,
My understanding is that American bacon is derived from "fatback" which was slave food in the Southern states before emancipation. The leaner cuts were more expensive and reserved for the upper classes, while the fatty belly meat was rendered for cooking grease, used as shortening for making cornbread and biscuits, etc.

After the Civil War the cheapest cuts became immigrant food and sliced, smoked pork belly remains a breakfast staple of the working class to this day, along with scrapple, and simple ground pork sausage seasoned only with sea salt, red and black pepper and rubbed sage.

The plantation owners, wealthy planters and factory ate ham with their eggs.

The "poor white trash," hillbillys, blue collar factory workers, farm and ranch hands, lumberjacks, construction workers, soldiers, sailors and marines got bacon, and gobbled it all up, greasy drippings, fat and all. Still do.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
29 June 2017, 09:18,
As a kid i used to call in on my cousins that lived in the next village ....on most of those occasions , bread n dripping would be offered (beef dripping) all of them would be getting it down their neck....and pigs trotters ...it was like 2000 BC ...and frounded upon by my mother ...rubbish she said ...but lambs harts ,lambs liver was perfectly okay ...because we were middle class .....i eat it to this day because i'm now lower class .
29 June 2017, 13:37,
(29 June 2017, 09:18)Straight Shooter Wrote: As a kid i used to call in on my cousins that lived in the next village ....on most of those occasions , bread n dripping would be offered (beef dripping) all of them would be getting it down their neck....and pigs trotters ...it was like 2000 BC ...and frounded upon by my mother ...rubbish she said ...but lambs harts ,lambs liver was perfectly okay ...because we were middle class .....i eat it to this day because i'm now lower class .

I'm of the age group that grew up just after all that bread and dripping stuff, but I do remember LARD!
A lower class land owner? That's interesting Wink
29 June 2017, 16:43,
On the odd occasion I fry chips, I use lard or beef dripping, they taste so much better than chips cooked in oil.
ATB
Harry
29 June 2017, 17:23,
Ah, lard sandwiches with salt & pepper!

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
29 June 2017, 18:52,
Talking of Lard.....our Aldi's have stopped selling it ! we have to go to Asdas to get it .....otherwise no Welsh cakes !
30 June 2017, 09:37,
bread and dripping with a shake of salt....mmmmm , my old fellow said we were middle class cos we had the first color tv in the street(1969)even though it was rented from redifusion and were the first with our own phone(a swanky trimphone...remember them?) funny looking back really we were just fully employed working class with a mortgage in a pretty low rent suburb.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!