Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are your plans for resuply
8 July 2017, 18:31,
What are your plans for resuply
It is widely excepted that bugging in is the right choice in most scenarios. It is also advised that people try and keep over a week’s worth of food in the house in case of a calamity.

Most of us here on this forum go above and beyond this on a major scale. However stored food is finite resource. You can only store so much.

I thought I would start a thread to share ideas on resupplying food reserves in a TEOTWAWKI scenario.

I, as some of you know live in a terraced house in a normal area. My growing land measures about 14x6m. Not particularly large compared to some preppers and tiny compared to most preppers across the pond.

In this area, I am trying to grow as much food as possible.

Vegetables

I have a 6x8 greenhouse that I originally planned to make an aquaponics setup in. Fish for meat and their waste feeds plants. Unfortunately, the fish plan didn’t work out so well (more on that later). I am currently growing as many tomato plants as possible in beds that have a constant flow of water in. They are accompanied by a couple of courgette plants, giant achoocha and some basil.

Outside the greenhouse I have a mixture of potted fruit bushes and trees, Corn, leafy greens, squashes, herbs, achoocha and, potatoes.

Achoocha grows like a weed and reseeds it's self easily. it makes a lot of fruit and tastes somewhere between sweet peppers and courgette.

Potatoes I am trying to grow as many as I can vertically. and hopefully in the autumn I can do another post on my vertical system.

Protein
I used to have 3 egg laying chickens however I sold them and got ducks instead. I have a breeding trio and this year they have given me 20 ducklings (more than I expected).

Muscovies area meat breed. they don’t lay a lot but the eggs they do are delicious. They are also near silent compared to chickens which is great for opsec and neighbours as this breed do not quack.
There waste is either composted for future use or pumped into my grow beds, as duck waste dissolves in water.

my next project is to make quail and then rabbit cages to try and grow as much of my meat as possible.

I am nowhere near self-sufficient and my current plans are not perfect but I am miles ahead of non-preppers.

Please share your story so we can learn and refine our own strategies
It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here

9 July 2017, 13:49,
RE: What are your plans for resuply
Do you have a private water supply?
ATB
Harry
11 July 2017, 08:18,
I'd love to know more about why you went for ducks than chickens. Or is it just about the clucking/quacking?
11 July 2017, 14:28,
Nicer eggs Smile
ATB
Harry
14 July 2017, 23:42,
Ducksare quieter and muscovies are near silent. but the main reason is i can breed ducks beacause a cockeral insnt suitable in my area.

Water isnt easy. i have massive rain barrells and the duckponics stores a lot ofwater in the system
It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here

15 July 2017, 19:17,
Things like tomato need a lot of water. look at growing what you can preserve. Spuds will last through the winter, carrots can be dried or stored layered in dry sand and will last months. 'Hard' cabbage and onions will last months and both can be pickled or dried in your dehydrator.

Have you looked at 'canning' American style?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqIa7SBeTPU
ATB
Harry