Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harvey Wallbanger Sitrep
29 August 2017, 19:44, (This post was last modified: 29 August 2017, 19:47 by Barneyboy.)
RE: Harvey Wallbanger Sitrep
Yeah I was going to ask were is jonas ,are you and yours safe MB?is jonas in Texas ,were abouts ,is he near the floods and storms
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
30 August 2017, 00:17,
It's Not Over: An all-time Lower 48 U.S. rainfall record from a tropical cyclone may have been set.

Tropical Storm Harvey has set a preliminary Lower 48 U.S. rainfall record for any tropical storm or hurricane as it continues to soak the upper Texas coast and Louisiana, worsening record-breaking, catastrophic flooding.

The Cedar Bayou gauge near Highlands, Texas, has reported a preliminary 51.88 inches through 3 p.m. CDT Tuesday. This total will likely climb higher as Harvey's rainfall continues.

A Harris County Flood Warning System rain gauge near Friendswood, Texas, reported a four-day storm total of 49.32 inches through 9 a.m. CDT Tuesday.

If either of these are confirmed, it would be the heaviest storm-total rainfall from any tropical cyclone in the continental U.S. in records dating to 1950, topping the 48-inch storm total in Medina, Texas, from Tropical Storm Amelia in 1978, according to research by NOAA/WPC meteorologist David Roth.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
31 August 2017, 18:49,
Excellent article in The Economist regarding effect of poor municipal planning in Texas making the flood consequences worse. Absolutely spot-on! Florida, Virginia, South and North Carolina have much stricter land use regulations and past history has shown they tend to weather the storms better. Good read, highly recommended.

https://www.economist.com/news/leaders/2.../n/nwl/n/n

73 de KE4SKY
In
USA
31 August 2017, 22:21,
What i can,t seem to get my head around is.....tptb knew this was coming and it was going to be a potentially major event...even though mother nature threw a curve ball we should not expect a perfect response from tptb ......financial constraints , cut backs will have a big impact ....warning people prior ...does not release anyone of responsibility ......if people in charge are found wanting they should expect to answer for their actions ....but i doubt they will.....that seems to me the inherent problem...world over...nobody wants to except their responsibilities anymore....(except if its a good outcome) ....then they all line up for interviews.
31 August 2017, 23:58,
(29 August 2017, 19:44)Barneyboy Wrote: Yeah I was going to ask were is jonas ,are you and yours safe MB?is jonas in Texas ,were abouts ,is he near the floods and storms

I think Jonas is in Virginia, which is on our east coast.

CH is in the eastern mountains 1500 miles from Texas.

I am in KY closer to CH but the storm is nearly upon me. It has come inland.

I am due to get 10-15cm of rain in the next 48 hours. I have been under flood watch for 24 hours already. My son is farther south and he is due 20cm.

I will be OK. I am not on a flood plain but high on a ridge overlooking things. We would have to get 15m of water before I got wet and if I see the waves rippling up the 45% slope in the back yard I will rush out and tie the boat to the back porch rail.

Never fear, I have a list! That is all it takes, right? A list and a plan.

The plan is to stay inside, dry and warm for the next two days. The list is the movies I intend to watch while marooned on this island.
1 September 2017, 00:05,
One of the things that no one has pointed out, and the news is not showing, is that all of the affected area of Texas is not covered with water. Only about 25% of the land in that area is flooded.

The pictures are making it appear that everything is covered and flooded and that is not so.

The problem is getting the people in the flooded areas to the dry spots. That is being accomplished and the flood waters are already receding. Some people are already in cleanup and rebuild mode.

The sooner they get back in and rip out the drywall and carpets the less they will have to fight a mold problem as they proceed.
1 September 2017, 13:27,
Good pointer MB. The sensationalist reporting that reaches me implies that the whole state is under at least 3ft of water.

It also appears from the pictues in the press that those Texans are huge animal lovers... its amazing the percentage of them that are rescuing / being rescued by their dogs as they evacuate, wading on foot through the flood. It occurs to me that more than a few of these pics seem to be a modern re enactment of the of Moses parting of the waves event last seen in childrens illustrated bibles of my youth. ???
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

1 September 2017, 16:47,
I have been in touch with friends and relatives in Texas, both of whom are in law enforcement and while not living in the affected area, have been involved with planning and logistics for the response.

Big factor is that so many of the highways use underpasses, rather than overpasses, and once these get flooded, the road is closed for days until flood waters recede.

Panic buying of gasoline has been caused by social media frenzy on Twitter, Facebook, etc. People who really don't need gas and have no reason to be out, are causing a shortage and long gas lines because they will go get it anyway. In the flood area DPS has prohibited retail sale of gasoline except to disaster volunteers who have a vehicle placard put on their vehicle by DPS.

73 de KE4SKY
In
USA
1 September 2017, 17:43,
The storm arrived in my area about 7am today. It has traveled 1500 miles across country and is still dropping water by the bucket.

Steady rainfall and wind at a constant 20mph whipping through the trees.

Temps have fallen to about 13c, they should be pushing 30c.

In general it feels like a blustery November rain.

It is dropping rain and a steady rate and our rivers will soon be at flood stage.

We will also have to deal with continued flooding as the storm runs up the Ohio River and fills the tributaries and all that run off comes back down stream.

My son, who lives south of here in Nashville,TN is not faring as well. Their land is more flat and the rain was pounding them at 5cm per hour for most of the day and night. They have some serious flooding in low areas.

In all this storm has impacted an area the size of all Europe and will have touched nearly 100 million people by its end.

Petrol prices are already up, so all of this is not social media hype. Higher prices are higher prices no matter what the influencing factor. Up to $2.60 per U.S. gallon (4 quarts) from two days ago when it was $2.30 a gallon.

I ran out for supplies last night like a novice. Soda, snack sausage, cheese and chocolate pudding. Serious preps! Can't do TEOTWAWKI without the chocolate pudding.
1 September 2017, 19:10,
On the radio news today ....petrol and diesel will be going UP by 4p a ltr as a direct cause of the flooding and storm damage....they also said 25% of production (oil) has been hit in Texas ....increases here in the UK are imminent.