Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hurricane Nate
7 October 2017, 19:34,
Hurricane Nate
Nothing happening around here for a couple of days I see.

Part of the U.S., an area the size of your Midlands region, is buttoning down for another blow.

This one is a fast mover and will cross a wide part of the U.S. inside a couple of days.

Nate is following the path Katrina took back in '05 and Ike a few years latter. Not expected to do the damage Katrina did but any storm with 100+MPH winds is a threat.

It is tracking in a path that will take it directly across the house of CH round about Monday night. It will have weakened, but will still be more than the average blustery fall day.

I will catch the edge of it and probably get a couple days heavy rain.

All this activity and the talk surrounding it has put me into winter prep mode a little earlier than normal. I have the propane tanks full, all the power outage gear at the ready and the house pretty much ready for the winter at this point. I still have to seal the windows with plastic but I always leave that until I absolutely have to do it due to the process blocking the view from several windows.

To all in the path of the storm, good luck.
7 October 2017, 20:31,
RE: Hurricane Nate
Hard to say how much impact Nate will have here, but 12-foot seas along the Gulf Coast would do damage,
here is link to the graphic:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/marine/graphicas...t#contents

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
7 October 2017, 21:18,
Good luck MB and CH and stay safe......and anyone else in its path , i am also getting ready for winter over here (nothing like your winters) but being fully prepared makes obvious sense,and its OUR mindset anyway or just plain normal ...although we all stay on top of the things and jobs that need doing at this time of year , its worth the time spent checking on spare fuel,oil,and kicking over the generator, since our move into the new place ...there are some shortcomings i need to address....but will get sorted in the coming weeks....i have no doubts you have both got stuff within your power under control ....tip of the day ....a nice single malt is a great prep ......or Prozac ......if the malt fails .....take the Prozac ......at least you don't give a f..k
8 October 2017, 01:29,
First few winters after I moved north were rough. Snow two feet deep for a month at a time. A foot of snow on the ground in November.

The first winter I was here the temperature did not rise above freezing point for 5 weeks. I thought I was never going to warm up again.

It is not as bad now. The weather is not that different but now, as a pensioner, I do not have to go outside and travel in it any more. I keep everything stocked up and do not leave the house when it is bad. I have not been in my 4wd rig in the snow in two or three years and the last time I did so was just to play around in the drifts.

I have an extensive library and return to it when the weather is bad or when the grid is down. Lots of biographies and histories. That keeps my mind working and the depression of winter in control. When the grid is up and the internet intact I spend days researching obscure historical topics, only breaking the effort to visit the forums I frequent.
8 October 2017, 03:59,
In January 2016 we had what was called a 100-year snowstorm which brought over a metre of snow in 24 hours. Fortunately, it was cold and the snow was of the dry-powder variety, so it caused little trouble. The worst type of snow is the wet, heavy kind which accumulates on tree branches and causes them to break off and foul power lines, etc.

Shortly after the famous 100-year storm we got another foot or so dumped on top of the first batch, and it was memorable. Whilst we were prepared with backup genset, we never lost power and the local fellow we pay to clear out road did so and we were able to get out and around and into town to watch the panicked city people who were marooned at their weekend cottages buying out the entire supplies of beer, wine, bog roll and cigarettes at the Food Lion.

I topped off the Jeep with gas, bought some windscreen de-icing fluid and had the butcher cut a kilogram rib-eye steak to cook on the grill and enjoy with a tot of rum. A wonderful time was had by all watching the TV news coverage and enjoying DVD westerns, casting bullets and loading ammunition for my cowboy guns...

73 de KE4SKY
In
USA
8 October 2017, 10:27,
Good Luck Guys but it sounds to me like you are already all prepped for this and it isn't like it is unexpected where you are.

Still, look after yourselves.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
8 October 2017, 16:04,
I am catching the very edge of Nate right now.

Steady little 40kph wind and pounding rain with temperature drop to 15c but not much else.

Seems a good day to spend inside continuing the organizing and catching up on indoor chores. Somehow my dining table has turned into a letterbox stacked high with junk mail. I am very sure that something I have been looking for is hidden under that pile of mail. I am not certain what is hiding under there but I bet I have been searching for it for some time!
8 October 2017, 18:13,
The rain MBis experiencing is supposed to reach us this evening and continue into mid-week as the storm stalls...

73 de KE4SKY
In
USA
8 October 2017, 20:00,
Rain should be there by now CH. We have been getting it in waves since early morning. The hills between us may have slowed things down a bit for you.

Nothing dramatic, just steady downpour which we actually needed pretty badly.

The little bit of wind and steady rain has knocked many of the leaves from the trees. May not be much left to give color latter this month.

I suppose we will have to wait for blizzard season to get any exciting weather. We have not had a real winter storm around here for a couple of years. We are overdue.
8 October 2017, 21:42,
Yes, rain has started, accompanied by a nice fresh breeze, but no high winds. We've had no rain for several weeks and a good farmer's soaker like this is exactly what is needed.

http://wvmetronews.com/2017/10/06/nate-w...-va-needs/

73 de KE4SKY
In
USA