Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beyond Situational Awareness - Threat Recognition
23 October 2017, 02:01,
Beyond Situational Awareness - Threat Recognition
The U.S. Department of Justice’s “Violent Encounters: A study of felonious assaults on our nation’s law enforcement officers” provides an authoritative list of signs someone has a hidden gun. Published in 2006, it includes the results of two previous studies and some frightening perpetrator statements. I’ll spare you the hair-raising stories and distill to the point.

Body language and telegraphing attire and gait, applies to edges weapons too:

http://guyjsagi.com/2017/10/11/signs-som...idden-gun/

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
23 October 2017, 17:55,
RE: Beyond Situational Awareness - Threat Recognition
Most of this has been talked about before. I would guess that when your life depends on it, like US cops, they study the bad guys but for someone like me. I would miss the key ticks.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
23 October 2017, 21:11,
The entire article is based on two strong assumptions.

1. That carrying a firearm/edged tool is unusual and has a distinct set of body language signals.

2. That a person carrying a firearm/edged tool intends evil and needs to be singled out and watched.

Not really valid in my area where open carry on the belt is fully legal, about 10% of the population has a concealed carry permit and 5%-10% more are active or retired law enforcement.

I was eating in a cafe last week when a man and his wife walked in. The man was wearing a Glock in open holster on his belt. I noticed but took no offense since I had no reason to, I was carrying my EDC 9mm concealed and the two men I was with were each concealed license holders. Two cops were eating at the counter. They paid no attention to him and none to us since all our firearms were worn concealed.

People tend to be especially polite in my part of the world. Few beat-downs, no muggings, little road rage, carjacking unheard of, entry to homes with the owner present are a real risk to the intruder.

I did find that as I have aged I needed some assistance with wardrobe function due to carrying concealed, but it might also have been due to the geriatric condition known as Noassatall, which has required the addition of a good set of braces to keep everything where it needs to be, gun or no gun.
24 October 2017, 07:31,
"The entire article is based on two strong assumptions.

1. That carrying a firearm/edged tool is unusual and has a distinct set of body language signals.

2. That a person carrying a firearm/edged tool intends evil and needs to be singled out and watched.

Not really valid in my area where open carry on the belt is fully legal, about 10% of the population has a concealed carry permit and 5%-10% more are active or retired law enforcement."

I agree with this, not everyone who holds a gun is a bad guy and intends evil. Cops carry them all the time and they're the "good guys."
3 December 2017, 17:15,
Heart  RE: Beyond Situational Awareness - Threat Recognition
Before our guns were taken off us in the UK, in our gun club was a notice “If they outlaw guns, only the outlaws will have them”, this is the situation here now, gun crime is on the increase.
3 December 2017, 22:25,
That and knife crime.
4 December 2017, 00:38,
If cricket bats are outlawed, only outlaws will play cricket...

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
4 December 2017, 12:00,
(4 December 2017, 00:38)CharlesHarris Wrote: If cricket bats are outlawed, only outlaws will play cricket...

Now that is really serious