Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SNOW
10 December 2017, 18:48,
SNOW
You folks are in the middle of the largest snow storm in a decade and nothing on here about it???

I look at the news and see trains immobilized by at least 10cm, rabbits sitting and shivering and a car off the roadway in the ditch! I hear they got nearly 30cm in Wales.

This is about as close to TEOTWAWKI as you guys have been or are going to get so turn lose the preps and burn some furniture to boil a kettle.

WTF, lets hear some horror stories!
10 December 2017, 18:56,
RE: SNOW
Minor inconvenience, MB, nothing more. The hens were a bit soggy though.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
10 December 2017, 19:56,
Where i am (South Wales) ...in my area about 8" snow but turning to slush ....it is now starting to freeze up.....traffic was thin today, mostly 4x4s having a play and impressing their neighbours .....i used to do this shit years ago....but these days i no longer feel the need, i am content to fire up the stove and look at flames for a bit....in my workshop all day today with the kerosene heater on and strategically placed coffee pot on the brew , how is the rest of the GB doing ? who knows ....i no longer look at the MM news anymore ....besides which i have no need to put myself in self induced danger or anyone else for that matter , in short ....i have no need the venture out at all .....other than shopping .....an if i did turn on the TV i would probably get what we always get over here ...some power lines down, some roads closed, train services affected , loss to the economy, so what ? that is why i prepp ....just for things like this.....i am lucky ....i am now retired ...no where i need to be..... work wise , but i do feel for those lucky enough to have a job to go to .....nothing like 1963 MB now that was bad ....i remember walking on top of hedgerows to deliver bread to Mrs Jenkins a widower who lived on the opposite mountain....back then people cared for people less fortunate......these days we read how people are found dead frozen to death ....scared shitless to turn on their heating....its a fucking disgrace ! .....so this bit of snow MB is nothing mate .
10 December 2017, 21:23,
Here in the west midlands we have a good 6 inches, only 2 cars in our street all day, snow always seems to fall on sundays when there is very little traffic to break it up. We too are sitting in front of the stove watching the flames and feeling content, had some neighbours call to see if we need anything, nice asian family. We are retired, no need to get the car out tomorrow or tuesday, I think a single malt would be nice.
10 December 2017, 21:33,
I am having one right now Pete.....in fact i am going to have another (while wild child is in the shower) and out of sight !
10 December 2017, 21:44,
This is the time for armchair prepping, a good malt and a pen and paper, make a note to buy another bottle or two, good health.
11 December 2017, 09:03,
No snow in Norfolk
just read alas Babylon ,so im going to get more salt!!!!
11 December 2017, 19:20,
This is the difference between the UK and the US.

Nothing here is that extreme. You hear about the snow and the rain and the high winds but they are nothing like you get in the US. Nature is good to us here and although there are the the odd fatalities they are few and far between and usually down to old age or simply idiots that by some miracle have managed to not kill themselves before by drowning whilst drinking.

So we simply don't need to trigger our preps at this time. We simply cuddle up to whatever we have at the time and stay in. We are not getting forced out of our homes. On the rare occasions that we do we just move a couple of miles away and stay at our mates.

One of the reasons I think the UK is a great place to live.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
12 December 2017, 07:33,
My greatest problem this year seems to be that some of the new meds I am on have my blood thinned to the point that I can not get warm or stay warm.

I am shivering all the time even with the temperature in the room at a reasonable level. I went to the wool layers and it does no good. I seem to be cold to the bone this year.
12 December 2017, 11:24,
We have to have a window open when the stove is on (its lowest position) sorry to bang on about insulation i have used but you would soon warm up here MB ...Every evening i am down to my Y fronts , its that warm in here (and i am being honest and not joking) .

When we go visiting friends , the first thing we notice is how cold their houses are and second they always have a jumper on and a few layers underneath (nothing wrong in that) but older people need a bit more heat especially if your on blood thinning meds . The major problem for older retired types ,especially on fixed pensions is how they stretch their finances to meet everyday needs (even if you hold savings) older people hold on to savings like a life raft ....just is case.....and funeral costs ...grandchildren and kids etc , over my lifetime i have seen first hand how older people will skimp on keeping warm in winter and self inflict shit on themselves for no good reason , other than if they are truly poor and cannot truly afford fuel (and they are plenty of these folks about) this situation is by no means NEW as a lad one of my JOBS was to go to the butchers for Mr Mrs Nunny every Saturday ...one of their favorits was "a nice piece of brisket " and four slices of corned beef and some bones for the dog ! ....but you do not have a dog ? i would say...he will know what i mean.....and indeed the butcher did know exactly what it meant ...at least a few meals of broth .

So if you follow my drivel in another thread, you should be able to determine my planning for retirement and the preparations for old farts and making things easier for later, so you young bloods out there spend a bit of TIME checking on old people in your area SEE if they need some help or just a chat for a while ....And not that Christmas makes any difference there is NO time limit on kindness or any season more special than another ...the payback is big for your soul......done it for years ...there again i am pretty fucking special !.