Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
suppressors
25 December 2017, 20:02,
suppressors
Asked of no one in general just anyone with the certain knowledge.

Is the possession of a suppressor automatically covered under your FAC or is it a separately licensed item?

Our government over here requires a separate police investigation, extra documentation and a $200 license fee for possession of such things.

Like most bureaucrats, they can not see an advantage to a lower tax on more volume. I would gladly pay $50 tax each for two or three units to cover a .22lr, and another for high power rifle, perhaps another for the shotguns.

Apparently the only thing these government types ever sold was their souls.
25 December 2017, 23:20,
RE: suppressors
Hi Mb
When I had my FAC I had a Voere 22LR semi auto riffle it was scewed for a suppresser and I just got one from the range shop, no paperwork, it did not have to go on the certificate. It was a beautiful weapon, I had to give it up ( my handguns had already gone ) when my FAC was up, I could not renew it at the time as I was in hospital having chemotherapy, after that shooting was a low priority as being out of work money was short.
26 December 2017, 17:39,
There is no separate paperwork/chit as such , FAC's have slots which you have to request , which are usually a gun , spare barrel , or moderator/suppressor , it can be any no of slots from 1 up to as many as you're cabinet/security arrangements can cope with, in the recent past suppressors were strictly a hunting commodity but now you may have them on health&safety and environmental grounds ie being considerate to your neighbours and so as not to deafen yourself and anybody else , you have to define the calibre and where possible give a serial number , so you can have quite a few mods in your cabinet . I have two with two slots unfilled at present so in time when I get round to it I shall have 4.
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
26 December 2017, 17:47,
Pete mentioned above that he just rocked up to the range shop and bought a Mod over the counter without any need for FAC involvement , this is partly true , you can just buy a .22 mod fairly cheaply over the counter with no paperwork involved but these are intended for pcp air rifles , they are in the main identical to the rimfire ones but with one exception . they have no proofmark , the minute you use an unlicenced mod on a firearm you are breaking the law and the penalties are stiff.
26 December 2017, 17:56,
MB,

In the USA we have other options, and the course I have pursued is to use low-powered ammunition in rifles of the popular "Cowboy" calibers, notably .38 Special and .45 Colt, which produce a mild report with standard pressure, lead bullet ammunition when fired in a rifle-length barrel.

While not "silent" in the motion picture gangster movie sense, a .38 wadcutter target load or .45 Colt lead Cowboy load fired from a rifle produces a modest "~THUNK!" akin to banging the bottom of a plastic 5-gallon bucket with a wooden drumstick. You can shoot it without ear protection, and from more than 100-yards away it doesn't sound like a gun. There is no "crack!" to scare game or disturb the neighbors. Ordinary lead revolver ammunition exits the rifle barrel at about 270 m/s and penetrate through whitetail deer broadside. The ideal garden gun...

Taken top the extreme a single-shot rifle in .455 Webley produces a rifle velocity of about 220 m/s and makes little more noise than an air rifle, until the bullet smacks the target. THAT makes more noise than the gun going off. Results are identical to a Pyramid Air .45 cal. air rifle, charged with a SCUBA tank. My neighbor has one. When I found out what it cost I decided to have a .455 barrel purpose-built to fit my H&R .410 shotgun, for less cost. Impossible to do legally in UK, unfortunately,but the stuff of adult fantasy some might enjoy reading about.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
26 December 2017, 18:31,
We could have that combo in the UK only breaking the law if you silp a .410 cartridge up the spout.
26 December 2017, 19:49,
(26 December 2017, 17:47)Midnitemo Wrote: Pete mentioned above that he just rocked up to the range shop and bought a Mod over the counter without any need for FAC involvement , this is partly true , you can just buy a .22 mod fairly cheaply over the counter with no paperwork involved but these are intended for pcp air rifles , they are in the main identical to the rimfire ones but with one exception . they have no proofmark , the minute you use an unlicenced mod on a firearm you are breaking the law and the penalties are stiff.

The suppresser I had was for 22LR and was made by Parker Hale before pcp air rifles were made, My Voere was completely silent. My wife had a a martini action 22LR target rifle at the time, she always had her own guns.
27 December 2017, 00:19,
My first moderator was acquired in the late 90's it was also a Parker and hale maxim type for use with my two rimfires at the time , an erma m1 carbine homage and a sako finnfire p94 bolt action , the moderator had to be on my fac and I only got it because I had an open ticket for vermin control.My target shooting friends couldn't have a mod at that time(legaly) they could if they wanted buy one under the pretence that it was for an air rifle.
27 December 2017, 17:41,
More and more shooters at my local club have been going through the year long wait for approval and then the tax expense and acquiring suppressors for their host of firearms ranging from .22lr on u to .300 Winchester magnum.

What I have seen is that the suppressors are much more quiet than any "downloaded" cartridge in any given caliber. One of my friends uses a suppressor on his Ruger .22lr pistol and that thing is dead silent with the exception of the bolt sapping back and forth with the action louder than the thump of the discharge.

Several other friends have acquired moderators to use on their 9mm pistol carbines and the results were almost the same as long as sub sonic ammunition is used.

My thoughts were that it would be nice to have a moderator on my .38/.357 rifle. That gun is my normal varmint control gun around the house and having the ability to use full power .38 Special rounds through the moderator without alerting the neighbors to its use would be a nice advantage.

The Judge lives just down the road and I always worry about waking him from his nap.
27 December 2017, 18:34,
When I had my Voere 22 I could lock the bolt so no noise of it snapping back and forth, it was completely silent.

Hope you are not snowed in MB , we’ve seen your weather on tv.
Regards