Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Range Day!
27 February 2018, 22:28,
Range Day!
Sunshine and 20c with just enough wind for the ground to be a little dry from the weeks of rain.

5 miles away the Ohio River is 10' above flood stage and folks are checking out their neighborhoods from row boats but where I am is fantastic.

Time for a Range Day!

I had messed with the scope on the "evil black rifle" in .308 and had acquired a batch of surplus ammo at a real cheap price, so I had that job of zeroing to do.

I had also brewed up a mess of 30-06 precision ammo for one of the "long shooters" and I needed to set the crosshairs on that also.

It took about 10 rounds each to walk the groups into position, five shots for test group and another few for the fun of it.

So I fired abut 40 rounds and on the way home I wondered why my feet were hurting! They had nothing to do with the shooting.

Then I realized that even with a spotting scope I had to run the targets up and down the range from 25 to 100, then 200 yards for each rifle. I had probably walked a mile and a half in the 3 hours I was there. So I got my shooting and my workout done for the day.

Now after all that hard work I must kick back and relax for a while, possibly take a nap. Retirement is the greatest thing man ever invented!
28 February 2018, 02:46,
RE: Range Day!
We had a range day in West Virginia also. Met a friend who is retired police Lt. from Washington, DC, now living in the land of Constitutional Carry and he's traded in his 9mm Glock for something smaller for the pocket. I'll try to attach some photos and hope they display larger when clicked upon. Enjoy the echoes from Plinker's Hollow.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
28 February 2018, 05:50,
One of the smoothest shooting pistols I ever owned was a Ruger Speed Six in .357. I think it was the late '70s or early '80s.

That thing had a trigger pull like a hot knife through butter.

I have some very good S&W revolvers, all of them reworked by hand, but that Speed Six topped them I do believe.

I traded it to a cop friend who has been dead 15 years now. He was bad about trading off good guns so it is probably long down the road.
28 February 2018, 06:34,
loving the snubby with the bobbed hammer and grip filler.....I wish!
Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool!!!!
28 February 2018, 15:40,
(28 February 2018, 02:46)CharlesHarris Wrote: We had a range day in West Virginia also. Met a friend who is retired police Lt. from Washington, DC, now living in the land of Constitutional Carry and he's traded in his 9mm Glock for something smaller for the pocket. I'll try to attach some photos and hope they display larger when clicked upon. Enjoy the echoes from Plinker's Hollow.

I always used to keep a box of winchester hollow point 38 special +P just in case.....
I once came across some 9mm bullet heads 110 or 120 grain (can’t remember which) these were sized at .357 for a guys worn out Browning, loaded with 3.5 grains of Red dot they were a fun load to shoot.
28 February 2018, 17:21,
This Ruger was built in June 1986 when I was QA Manager for the Newport, NH manufacturing facility. 161- or later serial number prefix on the Security Six, Speed Six, Service Six series were manufactured assembled and inspected under Mil-Q-9858A requirements. Revolver pictured was found on GunBroker. When I saw serial number prefix I advised him to buy it. Once gun was received and legally transferred, taking off the grips and inspecting the butt stampings I recognized the builder's mark, a US Customs and Border Patrol contract ID letter and my CH acceptance stamp. A bargain at $600 with Tyler issue grip filler as you see it. Bobbed hammer is factory. This run was built as Double-Action-Only (DAO), with the butter-smooth trigger pull MB mentions. Chambered in .357 but duty ammo of the period was the Olin Q4070 110-grain +P+ like the box pictured.

73 de KE4SKY
In
USA
1 March 2018, 06:48,
FYI for those unfamiliar, the Mil-Q-9858A standard requires fully interchangible parts, the usual test being to take ten revolvers, detail strip them, dump the parts onto a blanket. mix them together, and reassemble ten revolvers from parts selected at random, which must then pass all function, accuracy and environmental conditions tests meeting the NATO standard.

Ruger in USA and Manurhin in France (using Ruger furnished material, tech data package, and gages) were ever able to meet that standard. S&W and Colt revolvers have always been had fitted and could never achieve this.

After the last US government contracts were completed on the older Ruger "Six" design, the tools, fixtures and gages were sold to Manhurin as US production converted over entirely to the GP100 and SP101 series, revolvers being replaced in military and police service by autopistols. Sufficient spare parts were maintained to repair the older "Six" series revolvers for an estimated 20 years...

I have a 4-inch Police Service Six .38 Special 4" barrel which is my everyday carry around the farm, built as my armourer's school gun in 1985 and returned to the factory for refurbishment (aka FTR, or Factory Through Repair in Britspeak) in 2001 about the time the parts finally ran out.

The Rugers almost never wear out. Grand, sturdy guns...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

73 de KE4SKY
In
USA