Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't Mess With Texas
8 March 2018, 01:18,
RE: Don't Mess With Texas
My high school in Northern Virginia in the Washington, DC suburbs was similar to that described by MB. My home room teacher was a former Navy nurse spinster who tolerated no shenanigans amongst the boys. Math and science teacher Mr. Humphrey was a a one-armed Marine vet from the Pacific. Health and PE teacher Mr. Jenkins was a former WW2 Navy Chief Pharmacists Mate.

Senior boys old enough to be registered for the Vietnam-era Selective Service (military draft) were usually enrolled in the ROTC. Physical training was structured to harden them up to be ready for induction upon graduation. On Saturdays those interested in extra credit could ride a bus to the Marine base at Quantico and participate in orienteering classes, PT and rifle marksmanship.
For the kids whose academic achievement precluded them from being college bound, this gave them a leg-up upon induction and an easier transition to military life.

The lads I kept up with did well, a gaggle of us who went on to college being commissioned, as Navy or Air Force pilots, Army helo drivers or platoon leaders or surface-line Navy. Others were enlisted grunts, airmen, seabees or sailors.

Not all came back. But all of us grew up to respect our elders, the law and to take care of our mates.
We toast the fallen in remembrance on November 11th, the same as you do, and also on May 30th, Memorial Day, aka Decoration Day.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
9 March 2018, 00:44,
RE: Don't Mess With Texas
Thanks for the article Charles.
I'm perhaps younger than some members on this thread, but I still had a few teachers at my school from the WW2 era, one was in the Desert Rats in North Africa, and another in the Tank Core. I have to say they were some of the best teachers, not only respected and kept discipline but their teaching methods were no nonsense and direct, but at the same time they were fair and impartial. Compare that to some of the more 'modern' teachers where we might ask questions like, about how long does the essay need to be miss? to which the reply would be something like, as long as a piece of string, or it's not important be creative - I used to think wtf?????