Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dynamo /. alternator generation back up
17 March 2018, 23:15,
Dynamo /. alternator generation back up
How to set up power generation using Alternators / Dynamo ...choosing methods....wind , water and pedal power...site conditions and requirements for your chosen source......any ideas....my choice water/pedal power ....hit me !
18 March 2018, 00:12,
RE: Dynamo /. alternator generation back up
Hi SS easiest solution is a fixed bike with dynohub on the rear wheel. Think exercise bike or cycle trainer. Just jump on, pedal and output volts.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

18 March 2018, 00:18,
Hi SS, just read your other thread.

with 12v dynamo and regulator, you'll need to devise a way to transfer the cycle wheel rotation to the dynamo pulley. contact drive from a pneumatic tyre, or belt drive or chain drive are the obvious ways to go
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

18 March 2018, 19:27,
Been a long time since I built a system from scratch. Been a long time since I built a system without simply throwing more money at the problem. When using money the choices are which system will generate more and cost less. When working from scratch the question is often "what can I make work?"

If starting from scratch on the system using a stationary bicycle is possible, and the easiest method would be to chose a bike with an exposed wheel. Hook a bike generator directly to the wheel and charge the battery with that. If only 6V generators are available wire two in series.

I have read of people that hooked an auto alternator directly to the bike and worked with that. Getting the thing to charge seems a bit tricky but they apparently made it work.

I am not much on the bike system at my age and condition. I ride daily but any sickness or interference in my schedule might result in no power being generated days on end. Better to have a constant flow of juice from the outside by wind, water, or solar.

Your access to water is convenient and is often an ignored power source on a homestead. The system is just as easy to build from scratch as a wind powered system.

If using water power you may need a large pulley at the power source to get mechanical advantage and the correct pulley ratio. I have had success making over-sized pulley wheels for these low impact situations using three layers of plywood sandwiched together.

Cut two circles the same size and a third circle 12-20 mm smaller and fasten them together securely with the small circle inside the larger two and centered. After your glue has set and all the screws and fasteners are secure run a roughter with a 45% cutter, or even an oglive cutter, down the parameter inside the groove to keep the belt centered.

Pulley belts are available in any size you require at any shop that services riding mowers. I have one belt on a mower deck that is almost 5 feet in diameter to catch the power wheel and the three blade spinning pulleys.

Making the pulley wheel yourself allows you to go as big as you need without spending time and money hunting down a wheel that does not exist. I have used these plywood wheels on several gas powered contraptions and never had one fail, but I was not pushing them hard, 500-700rpm at the most.

I imagine the pulley ratio of a one meter overshot paddle wheel against an 8cm alternator wheel would get one a good spin.
18 March 2018, 19:50,
Many thanks MB , looking on Ytube ...you have just described the video i watched ....but i will double check flow rate , head . and volume first ! what looks good ....may not be good at all .
19 March 2018, 00:57,
I bet you could build a slipway to get some water flow and make an overshot waterwheel wheel with roller skate wheels for bearings and light up the world with minimal flow!

And unless you want to do just that, light up the world, you might have sufficient generation to fill many of your household needs short of running appliances.

I made the change over to LED lights, partly forced by the government I must admit, and I now light the entire house with the power I used to need for running a single bulb.

I bet you could run all of your lights and most of your computer use off a simple system of waterwheel, single battery, and a 1000w inverter.

You are making me want to start work on a solar unit again. My old system is shot and I have failed to replace it. The batteries and inverter are still in place.

The local utility company just installed a solar farm about 5 miles from my home. The grid they installed will support 1500 homes they claim. That is about the population of our county.

So I might say that I am on solar already.
19 March 2018, 13:08,
(17 March 2018, 23:15)Straight Shooter Wrote: How to set up power generation using Alternators / Dynamo ...choosing methods....wind , water and pedal power...site conditions and requirements for your chosen source......any ideas....my choice water/pedal power ....hit me !

Hi SS, i remember seeing on tv along time ago a scheme where a generator was mounted on a small punt type raft and was driven by an impeller underneath, it was anchored in the middle of a fast flowering stream and cables ran to the bank, any good?.
19 March 2018, 15:13,
Thanks Pete.....looks like i am heading down the channelled tapered route as MB points out ....ideal for my set of conditions .
19 March 2018, 17:19,
(19 March 2018, 13:08)Pete Grey Wrote:
(17 March 2018, 23:15)Straight Shooter Wrote: How to set up power generation using Alternators / Dynamo ...choosing methods....wind , water and pedal power...site conditions and requirements for your chosen source......any ideas....my choice water/pedal power ....hit me !

Hi SS, i remember seeing on tv along time ago a scheme where a generator was mounted on a small punt type raft and was driven by an impeller underneath, it was anchored in the middle of a fast flowering stream and cables ran to the bank, any good?.

Forgot to say this is a portable setup as it can be moved anywhere.
19 March 2018, 18:06,
Will take a closer look Pete.....i like the portable bit .