Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hunting in the wild
3 May 2018, 13:32,
Hunting in the wild
Lets say you are out in the forests for hunting some animal, what knife one should carry so it can be used for multi purpose?
3 May 2018, 17:44,
RE: Hunting in the wild
A simple fixed-blade knife with blade about 10-12 cm, of good quality plain carbon steel which can be easily sharpened is fine.

I find one of the basic model Mora Companions quite adequate.

http://www.ramblinjim.com/articles/mora-...-compared/

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
4 May 2018, 11:32,
(3 May 2018, 17:44)CharlesHarris Wrote: A simple fixed-blade knife with blade about 10-12 cm, of good quality plain carbon steel which can be easily sharpened is fine.

I find one of the basic model Mora Companions quite adequate.

http://www.ramblinjim.com/articles/mora-...-compared/

I saw your one it is good and simple, but i could not seem to find the price for it, or i am blind haha, joke is a part, i saw this one seems kind of cool to me but not sure if its for the job, can you kindly have a look at this and let me know if its worth it https://swordsswords.com/knives/knives-b...knife.html, or your one is better.
4 May 2018, 14:05,
As Charles recommended, Mora knives are the entry level standard in both Europe and North America.

Mora has been making the bushcraft standard for over 100 years.

I could not find a UK supplier but the prices should be about the same as the knife you showed and I would suspect the quality would be better. Here in the states the prices of Moras vary from retail outlets but a basic Mora can be had for $12-$15 from most outlets.

Another suggestion for a general purpose blade would be one of the basic designs of Swiss Army Knife, but keep it simple at first and do not overdo the number of blades chosen. More blades on an SAK often makes the knife bulky without really being useful.

99% of what you do in the woods can be done with a SAK, including processing most small game. I have cleaned several deer with only a simple pocket knife in the past.

Whatever you decide on you had better get it soon because your selections will be trimmed drastically soon I fear. New proposed legislation will strike directly at the retail market first and end the existence of most of your choices.
4 May 2018, 17:38,
Agree with MB on the basic Swiss Army Knife (SAK) as being most versatile and useful.

The Spartan, Pioneer or Farmer designs have a useful selection of tools without being too "busy".

The US military Mil-K-818 packed in survival kits follows the old standard design of the Boy Scout knife, having a spear blade, awl, can opener and a combination screwdriver/caplifter. I'll try to post a picture or drawing

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

73 de KE4SKY
In
USA
5 May 2018, 00:53,
The U.S Air Force survival school has given intense survival training to each and every air crew member in the U.S.A.F. for 60 years and they train using two different knives. Like any good American bushcrafter I happen to have both of them here close at hand.

One is known as the Air Force Pilot Survival Knife. It is a 12cm blade 1.75mm thick heavy knife with a stacked leather washer handle.

https://www.tacticalwholesalers.com/Onta...39612.html

The other knife they use is the one referenced by CH, as M-818. That knife has been issued to U.S. forces since WW1 equipped with various handle materials.

An identical model using varying handle materials was adopted by the Boy Scouts one year after the group was founded.

The training of millions of men and the real life experiences of each of them prove the usefulness and validity of good quality knives of those general types.

It might also be noted that people training other people professionally after more than half century of experience and evaluation recommend and issue TWO knives as a cutting system, not depending on any one knife to do all things.

There is a third knife issued in the survival kits of every pilot in the U.S. forces as well as in all the heavy duty survival and medical kits issued in combat areas. It is a simple razor knife made by the Derma Safe Company. While most "bushcrafters" would not consider buying on as a primary tool I is considered "better than nothing" for those facing death in the wilderness.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Derma-Safe-Fo...or&veh=sem
5 May 2018, 01:05,
Bushcrafting knives are also one of the items that is available at all levels of quality and price, and price does not always measure true quality.

As we have stated, a good Mora can be had for less than 20 pounds your money. A good utility knife like the 4 blade camp knife referenced before can be obtained for less than 15 pounds your money.

Over here I could probably shop around and find the Mora for $13 U.S. and a Marbles brand 4 blade camp knife for $8 U.S. at Smokey Mountain Knife Works.

https://www.smkw.com/morakniv-craft-series-pro-c-10

https://www.smkw.com/marbles-g-i-utility-knife
5 May 2018, 18:25,
The Derma-Safe SERE saw is another useful piece of kit which weighs almost nothing.

http://www.bestglide.com/dermasafe_survival_saw.html

https://www.adventuresurvivalequipment.c...u3oG-8vzcs

These saw blades are manufactured in Switzerland, but the handle is manufactured and the whole item is assembled in the USA.

Both saws feature:

The highest quality Swiss made High Speed Steel Blade available.
Autoclavable Medium Impact plastic handle
Replaces the failure-prone so-called "Commando Saws" (the wire ones with a keyring at each end) in survival kits
One hand operation cuts metal, wood, ice, bone, etc.
Weighs 0.28 oz (8 grams)
Length is under 3" when closed
Sawblade is 1-7/8"
Utility Saw Features (HR300):
18 TPI - Better for use with soft metals

Survival Saw Features (HR312):
12 TPI - Better for use with woods

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

73 de KE4SKY
In
USA
5 May 2018, 19:13,
As MB said, Mora are an extremely good and durable choice

I UK there are many suppliers. I got my last one from Bushcraft store. Price was around £10 for the SS version

(4 May 2018, 14:05)Mortblanc Wrote: As Charles recommended, Mora knives are the entry level standard in both Europe and North America.

Mora has been making the bushcraft standard for over 100 years.

I could not find a UK supplier but the prices should be about the same as the knife you showed and I would suspect the quality would be better. Here in the states the prices of Moras vary from retail outlets but a basic Mora can be had for $12-$15 from most outlets.

Another suggestion for a general purpose blade would be one of the basic designs of Swiss Army Knife, but keep it simple at first and do not overdo the number of blades chosen. More blades on an SAK often makes the knife bulky without really being useful.

99% of what you do in the woods can be done with a SAK, including processing most small game. I have cleaned several deer with only a simple pocket knife in the past.

Whatever you decide on you had better get it soon because your selections will be trimmed drastically soon I fear. New proposed legislation will strike directly at the retail market first and end the existence of most of your choices.
72 de

Lightspeed
26-SUKer-17

26-TM-580

6 May 2018, 05:31,
Probably one should also note that the Pilots survival knife, the 4 blade utility knife and the Derma Safe knives are all considered "consumable" items.

All three are included in the survival kit strapped under each ejection seat in every combat plane in the U.S. forces and every combat plane has ejection seats for every crew member.

That means there are thousands of those knives in thousands of kits that have not been used since the planes had their seats bolted in, and many of them will never be used for the lifespan of the plane.

If they are used they are intended to be written off as a combat loss. That means that the U.S. government is not spending several hundred dollars per copy for the best knives available to sit for decades under the driver's seat!

Therefore, one should not approach these knives as a major expenditure or a lifetime investment at the price mark they sell for.

They are intended for heavy use, being used up, and being replaced as needed.

If you decide you really want to get into this woodcraft stuff you can buy some expensive gear latter on, after you know specifically what you need.

Charles did they ever tell you if that Derma Safe saw was intended for use extracting people from vehicles or for quick amputations?